Think I've (probably) got a blaster...

1. julianf

julianf Member

70637514_733451970451230_7975687323016757248_n.jpg

Don't know what size it is. It's clearly one of those cheap from China things though.

I know there are a million threads a out them but you can never find the detail when you want it.

I need one of those centuarywise valves, right, and then what is it that I need for the valve end?

Anything else? I have a metalworks water trap but it's part of my regulator, and the regulator will be restrictive, won't it? So do I need some sort of separate water trap also?

I have a couple of aprox 14cfm compressors and one smaller one.

I've not picked up the job yet, and it's never done till it's in your hands, but here's hoping at the £25 asking price...

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

if you fit the centurywise metering valve cut that tap of the end of the blast hose and fit a 3mm carbide one and fit a half inch bsp machine mart or similar water seperator on the pot and it will work very well .use 10mm bore flexible pipe to feed the pot and away you go :)I take the air strait from the tank so its not restricted

3. julianf

julianf Member

Thank you. Will do as you say.

4. KavindaJD New Member

Hi there!
    I'm new to the forums and looking to get into sand blasting as well.
    How large is your tank for the 14cfm compressor? I'm thinking of just having one 15cmf ~ compressor with a pressure pot - do you think this would be adequate?

5. julianf

julianf Member

Brightspark knows better than me, but the size of the tank is kind of irrelevant for somthing where you are running all the time.

They're good for stop start jobs, but it's CFM total that matters for most tasks, not what size tank is present.

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

2x 14cfm comps coupled together will or should run the pot at 90psi pressure without dropping .its preferable keeping the pressure constant because if it drops you end up using more media with less air and not as much cutting power

7. KavindaJD New Member

So a single compressor rated at 14cfm would struggle?

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

it would run a pot but would start to drop in pressure in use . if anyone wants to know what pressure the comp can run a blaster at is get some 10mm round rod and drill a 3mm hole through it insert in to your flexible hose using a jubilee clip and run the comp . then check the pressure while running :)that will give you an idea of what you will get without forking out on the gear 1st

Parm and KavindaJD like this.
  9. Dcal Member

@julianf Have a look at the nozzle on the blast hose, it might already be a carbide one.
    My pot had that same set up and it worked fine until the ball valve disintegrated and I didn't bother replacing it.

I made a metering valve (as has @brightspark ) and they transform the operation of the pot.

brightspark likes this.
  10. julianf

julianf Member

I picked up the unit today, however it's currently still in the car.

Two things -

It has a water trap on it, so I assume I'm sorted there.

And

The tip of the hose has a white ceramic nozzle. Is this the carbide unit mentioned above? What else are they ever made of?

I'll take some photos in the morning...

11. Dcal Member

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

13. eddie49 Member

14. julianf

julianf Member

So, the valves -

There's this one -

https://www.centurywise.co.uk/shot-...metering-valves-/Flat-sand-exp-abrasive-valve

And this one -

https://www.centurywise.co.uk/shot-...metering-valves-/junior-flat-sand-valve-miser

The second looks like what I was expecting. Seems that the first is a fancier version of the same?

By the time I'm spending all that money, a tenner extra is neither here nor there, so, if they both cost exactly the same, which one should I go for?

In other news -

Dragged the unit from the car this evening.

Gassed it up and flicked the valve for just long enough to realise it was a bad idea opperating it where I was!

I reckon I had it open for between 2 and 3 seconds - maybe even less. Long enough to remove a 8-10mm disc of rust impressively cleanly, but also to mist everything in the vacinity with grit!

I had one of those Venturi ones and never saw any good action from it at all. This one seems (from my vast experience of all of seconds!) as if it will be a lot more useful.

I am, however, going to need some sort of enclosure, I think.

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

the ones I made were copied of the Clemco mini pot and are the same as the junior valve in picture. they work very well with no problems on sand or grit. its not very often they need taking apart for cleaning out if you use new media or sieve it after use .and its reasonably dry

Advertisements