Thermal Arc 180 AC/DC - Foot pedal

1. Stewd New Member

Hi!

Have been doing a lot of research but can’t find an answer so hopefully someone might know.

Bit of background:

To add that collection I recently bought a thermal arc 180 AC/DC tig from a well known auction site, it didn’t come with a foot pedal.

No problem though as I have a TecArc foot pedal that wasn’t being used.

The TecArc foot pedal didn’t have the correct plug on it, so I switched the plug over to one that matches the Thermal Arc,

(5 pins - torch trigger (on/off) min & max of pot & Cursor position)

Problem:

With just the torch plugged in, I can adjust the amps on the machine no problem, torch button on the torch, and welder works as expected - on up to set amps, touch again and goes off.

With the foot pedal plugged in the amps go straight to 003 and I’m unable to set the max amps, if I unplug the pedal, set the amps and plug it back in, I can use the pedal, and have full movement from 003amps the set amps.

If I how ever go full pedal down I can then adjust the max amp, (I disconnected the torch trigger wire from the pedal to test this)

Attached are some pictures of the internals of the “amazingly” made foot pedal.

looking at the capacitors they seem to daisy chain between all wires (which doesn’t make sense)

Thanks,

• 71ED2040-BE1D-4F5B-9B78-AD89E47298E7.jpeg
    • 3397DB33-3455-4C56-83AF-F8F56EC1D74C.jpeg
    • 9D54437D-5D8F-47D6-ABB2-0C5FEE5A64DA.jpeg
  2. carbon

carbon Member

I made a pedal for mine and use a double pole switch fitted in the pedal to disconnect the pot to allow the current to be set without unplugging every time

3. Stewd New Member

Hi,

That is what I’ve done for the moment, which I’m happy to leave it like that if there isn’t a correct fix for it.

Reading the manual again last night, there is a rear plug that can also be used for a remote control but is a 6 pin (has a 20v output) so not sure if this plug is suppose to be used for the pedal, and the front is for torch.

4. carbon

carbon Member

This is from my manual. 250ac/dc machine

Using remote control RC01 or RC04 The unit recognises the remote control RC01 as soon as you plug it in female socket B1. The unit recognises the foot pedal remote control RC04 as soon as you plug it in female socket F1.

F1 is the front panel socket

5. Stewd New Member

I've gone into F1, and will leave it on the 5 pin plug, and just use the toggle switch to discount to the torch trigger each time to set the Amps, not the end of the world, once it's set it's set.

6. carbon

carbon Member

I think someone else on here mentioned that plugging a pedal into possibly an xt202 they had the same issue

Advertisements