The start of my new garage build

1. Domdom Forum Supporter

Well, sick to death of not having enough headroom in the old pre fab concrete building in the background so when this little lot came my way cheaply it had to be done.

plans being drawn up now, CAD drawings for the joint plates being done, planning permission questions are with the council and we unloaded this little lot by hand. Knackered now.

Still undecided whether to MIG or MMA but that will come in time, the R-Tech MIG will cope with it so that may well be the preferred option. It’s 203x133 universal beam at 7mm thick. Planning to build it the max 4m high so I can get a 2 post lift in there and also enquiring of Western Power Distribution about the cost of a 3 phase supply. Bet that won’t be cheap lol.

will update as I go.

Dom.
    21DAF33C-FF10-4EAF-B0CF-053805848EF6.jpeg

8ob, barking mat, Woody.v8 and 8 others like this.
  2. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Cant see you having much useful space to work under a car on a 2 post lift at 4m high:confused:

3. Domdom Forum Supporter

Plenty of room. Even my Discovery is only 2.1m high which is more like 1.8m from chassis to roof. Since I’m no basketball player I only need it 1.8m off the ground to walk under with room to spare. But really it’s more for doing brakes etc rather than scratting around on the floor. Too old for that ****.

4. Domdom Forum Supporter

Well, I enquired about 3 phase today. 4 grand was their best estimate, but could go as high as 7. Shan't be doing that then. Just waiting on the council now so I can think about making a start.

5. Domdom Forum Supporter

Did a bit more, mostly making the frame. Also put this in the “stuff you have made today” thread.
    Mostly mincing around really, still waiting on planning permission. But one good thing is that Western Power only (only!) want 1500 quid to give me a 3 phase supply.

0328EFD4-9EE0-4EBD-9567-515F28A9679A.jpeg A74C1E49-734A-4868-AA0D-D10109B499AD.jpeg 3126CA76-7005-4521-951A-85358EF591AA.jpeg 01636AFE-2FED-4979-9F92-E4B0A38BDD30.jpeg

6. Mike B Member

£1500 is cheap. I was quoted £18k by Scottish Hydro. Ended up more economical to buy a decent 3ph generator for around £5k and can bring it with me when I move house.

tom2207 and indy4x like this.
  7. Domdom Forum Supporter

Well in fairness there is a supply pole right in front of my house and I do have to bury the conduit for them, but yes, 1500 sounds reasonable enough to me. i was expecting quite a lot more.

tom2207 and indy4x like this.
  8. Mike B Member

A mate of mine had a three phase cable routed beneath his house to a huge industrial building behind him on the agreement that he'd be provided with 3ph power and no meter! He runs a large home workshop from it for free!

9. Domdom Forum Supporter

Right, a bit more done today. The steel frame is all made, I have the planning permission and I emptied the old sectional concrete garage ready to dismantle it. Tools stashed everywhere now, daren’t open any doors incase of a landslide.

I started early doors due to the predicted temperatures today and found the garage was cleared before mid day. Hmmmmm. So carried on and dismantled the garage. The bloke who wanted it came straight over and loaded into a VW Luton van. I did try and explain about weights etc but being a nice Kenyan chap he was more about bush engineering and was convinced it would be fine. I put some more air in his tyres as they resembled pancakes and insisted he stop loading and come back for the rest, which he did in less than 2 hours. No idea how he unloaded that rapidly, maybe loads of mates but barring the roof sheets it’s all gone.

A fairly large bonfire later and a good deal of the junk seems to have disappeared, all those timber offcuts, knackered cardboard boxes, half a dozen old pallets etc, all gone.

And now I am the one who is knackered. Can’t move that bench on my own so it’ll stay there for now. Something else I seem to have over-engineered in the past.

75E96618-4F6A-4E34-AEFD-365861C07FE0.jpeg

3000alloy likes this.
  10. Domdom Forum Supporter

A bit more done today. Bench moved, compressor moved, rubbish got rid of and footings dug out. Looks a lot bigger than the old, oh and the first time the Discovery has sat there. Couldn't get it in the old garage due to height issues.

20200520_193549380_iOS (2).jpg

indy4x and Milkybars like this.
  11. Domdom Forum Supporter

Getting closer now. Shuttering installed, and jeepers what a job that was. Shovelled about another tonne of soil out so the boards would fit nicely. Lots on poncing about with a water level and string lines but pleased with the results. All level within 5mm and measuring the diagonals they are a mere 9mm out. Close enough for government work.

Hardcore going in on Wednesday, hopefully the concrete on Friday. We shall see.

• 6BC3DE39-50D1-4D31-BC45-99D1DC46B718.jpeg
    8ob and Woody.v8 like this.
  12. Domdom Forum Supporter

A bit more progress in the last couple of days. Now I can have a couple of weeks off while it goes hard.
    B76F43DD-E3D7-44CA-87D1-A92EE22A1681.jpeg

galooph and Woody.v8 like this.
  13. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Keeping it good and damp in this heat?

14. Domdom Forum Supporter

Hosing it down every few hours. Soon dries up though.

15. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Cover it with polythene sheeting.

16. tom2207 Member

or sack cloth and damp it

17. Domdom Forum Supporter

Improvised, don’t have enough of either so set the lawn sprinkler on it.

18. Domdom Forum Supporter

Well, a productive day today. This was the view this morning.

54C9CEFF-8238-4BAC-B086-D45500BC2B02.jpeg

And this is the view now

BBA249D8-923F-4EB4-955A-4B81B630BD97.jpeg

Some of the shenanigans during the day below. Now relaxing in the hot tub with a cold beer. Even the dog’s knackered. And he knows the pouffé is off limits, don’t have the heart to turf him off. Oh and the welder was to weld some temporary props on to the first leg while the rest was bolted up.

CD98081F-64B7-41CA-987B-D6510A3CF588.jpeg
    5E9475D1-5BE0-4DE3-ACAD-47711E1FBADE.jpeg
    7137C211-6490-407E-A5A7-94EB4ED30A9B.jpeg

8ob, Ton-up, rtcosic and 2 others like this.
  19. Domdom Forum Supporter

A bit more done today. The blockwork is up now and ready for the roof on Sunday, weather permitting. Those blocks look innocuous now but 2 of the packs were actually 12 newton where I ordered 7 newton. Heavy is an understatement. And of course, it was the last 2 packs so they were the highest courses.

• 8E04ED1B-2A73-4EC1-B406-7D441012D6EF.jpeg
  20. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Looks a decent build

Can't wait to see further progress

All these shed/garage builds are making me jealous not having anywhere of my own

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements