The Rallymig is alive!

1. Pete.

Pete. Member

Last year I bought a Migatronic Rallymig 161i which was just about brand new (the guy had welded some hinges with it before sadly passing away). I bought it and got it home, it did one weld and then died. No idea why, the machine was essentially new but after the old guy died it sat in the box for a couple of years so no warranty. I got on to Migatronic who put me on to Drayton Welding who kindly sent me a fault finding flowchart and schematic.

Anyway, long story short, it seemed that the inverter board was fine but the control board was faulty. This a little pair of boards behind the buttons on the front panel. Drayton said they would look out for a used board for me out of a machine with a blown inverter.

So, that's what I got in the post this week, a new control board. Slightly different to mine in that it doesn't have the SD card but that's just for firmware upgrades so doesn't affect the operation.

rallymig boards.jpg

I fitted the boards and the welder sprung into life! It was late and I couldn't find anything suitable to weld to I ran a few short tacks along the front of my bench where the top was lifting, and a couple of small runs on some scrap plate at higher power just to make sure it copes with full whack.

rallymig welds.jpg

So thanks go to Ed Drayton for sourcing me a board at a small fraction of the £200 new cost, and for his patient fault-finding with me on the phone and via email.

Anguz, mr migwire, zx9 and 19 others like this.
  2. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Excellent work and news Pete :)

Brad93 likes this.
  3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s a result there.

eSCHEn likes this.
  4. north Member

Nice machine...near i bought one myself...but have already ordered a Telwin...You should have a program for use with co2 protection gas...saving Money...Read on danish forum they use co2 then they weld... :scared:

5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    That's a great result, I have an original Mig160 from back in the day.

The only thing that concerns in that story is that blown inverter would write it off.

6. Pete.

Pete. Member

Yes it's got a button on the front for co2 gas and one for argon mix. I never used co2 for welding, no idea what it's like.

7. north Member

If you have settings for c02 you are lucky...just use it and save Money...mixgas aint sheep...i bought my Telwin inverter just for use of co2 on thin metal ...use for weding on my cars....save Money and use co2...I seen your machine in a shop...very good wirefeed motor....quality machine :drunk:

8. north Member

If we talk protection gas... Little tacking you dont notice the cost...but then you start to seemweld you guarantee notice the cost...Gascompany is greedy with ther mixgas...big weldingcompany dont pay same cost as hobbyweldder... If you are a hobbywelder and start to seamweld...invertermig...with program for co2...use co2 and weld ... save Money... dont pay the greedys... :waving::waving:

arther dailey likes this.
  9. north Member

with my Telwin inverter and co2 protection gas its just weld and weld...co2 gas last for ever...Think ït last Three times more as a mixgas tube ...Some transformersmig can have a problem with co2 with low settings....but not invertermig with scale and settings for it...:waving:

10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Globular and spattery. If you use mixed gas then that’s what I’d be sticking with.

Windy Miller likes this.
  11. Windy Miller Semi-Professional Potterer!

When I got my first mig donkeys years ago, I used CO2, but when I tried a mates machine with ArgoShield the difference was very noticeable.
    The mixed gas produced a neater weld, and far less spitting, and CO2 was a little hotter so would quickly burn through thin sheet.
    I’d never use CO2 unless I really had no choice now.

Richard. likes this.
  12. Nick Searle New Member

Hi
    I have the same make and model of welder. I was just searching google when I stumbled upon this forum thread.
    like you Pete I have what seems to be the same problem. The mig side of the machine is not functioning as it should.
    I also believe this to be the control pcb.
    Before I buy a new board do you by any chance still have the fault finding chart?
    I don’t want to spend £150 if the welder is scrap.
    The MMA still works making me believe the transformer is still fine.
    When I pull the torch trigger I have no wire feed and the gas valve doesn’t seem to be opening. Although I have 2x leds light up on the main board.
    Any help or tips would be much appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Nick

13. minimutly Member

CO2 is colder....

14. Pete.

Pete. Member

Nick, here are the fault finding flow charts for mk1 and mk2 machines.

15. Nick Searle New Member

Thankyou

Advertisements