The O'l SIP Migmate 130 fan club

1. TonyG New Member

Hi guys and thank you in advance for your help :hug:

I have an old SIP Migmate 130 I'm giving to my son so he can have a play with and learn a few things about welding. I've had this unit for a while now and yep it hasn't be used for a while either. When I pulled it out the other day I found the nozzle and tip on the end of the goose neck was missing, plus the thread leading into the goose neck was striped. In short, I'm going to replace it with a new gun and lead.

My problem is all the new gun/torch kits have 2 switch leads coming out and not the 1 lead as the original does. Pulling the gun apart I can see the switch mechanism has 2 levers not 1 and I'm a little lost as to where to plug these into. Obviously they create the circuit when closed but I'd be grateful for some help and pic's if possible.

Will also be doing the feed roller brace and 1k trimpot conversion too as prescribe by many post for this old bucket of sparks :o

Thanks once again your help guys :drunk:

2. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Welcome
    Others with more experience will chime in soon, but Sounds to me Like you know what you are doing, so good luck

3. TonyG New Member

Thanks Bullet and a dangerous thing to say we know what where doing, especially when the wife raises her eyebrows :whistle::whistle:

Bullet2012 likes this.
  4. wacky7791

wacky7791 Member

5. TonyG New Member

Will take one shortly, not sure if you'd like just the gun or transformer ends but will do both.

The new guns have the 2 levers which press together but the single create the contact on the goose neck and gas connection.

6. a111r Member

It's very easy to fit a 'two wire' torch to a 'one wire' machine.
    One wire connects to the existing wire going to the PCB.
    The other wire connects to the rectifier's DC +ve output (where the welding voltage cable is also fed).

7. TonyG New Member

Thanks a111r,
    Will look at it when I arrive home from work. But if in doubt I'll picture it out and post it for clarification :clapping:

8. a111r Member

9. TonyG New Member

Yep certainly will be using one of those a111r. Overall the conversion is relatively straight forward I'm thinking and should be a better improvement with a metal wire feed too.

10. TonyG New Member

Thanks and thinking it's a relatively simple job and yep using one from eBay. Should be an improvement especially if it has a metal inner fed cable :laughing:

11. TonyG New Member

Thanks for your help a111r and traced the blue back to the PCB for feed speed adjustment and located an existing brown attached to the +DC which just happens to be attached to the roller assembly and guide for easy reach.
    Have taken a snap to make sure :laughing:
    15931385411832835334222173055250.jpg

Advertisements