The GOVerness.

1. marknotgeorge

marknotgeorge Doing sums for a living since 2009.

Derby, UK
    Some progress on the left door of my TR7. I've plugged a few holes in the edge with weld, thanks to advice from Bump and some old copper pipe from my father-in-law:
    [​IMG]
    Some of the holes are too large to be plugged, so I've had to start patching. Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    I messed up the left edge, so I cut another patch. This was slightly too short, so I clamped a piece of scrap steel behing the gap and filled it with weld, before grinding off the scrap:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the other side after dressing with my angle grinder. I'm pleased with my first attempt at welding in anger.
    [​IMG]

Some things I've noticed.
    • Should I be able to push the wire in slightly at the tip?
    • I've noticed some soot kicking about. Is this from the old metal?
    • I definitely need more light in my shed. My helmet seems to cause a shadow wherever I stick it.

2. lexi Member

paisley
    Yeah you have a bit to do!. Maybe an idea opening that with a grinder and putting patch on the inside. Hold it with some wire and holes drilled in your patch until it`s tacked. Once welded you could fill it .

Alex

3. marknotgeorge

Derby, UK
    That hole on the right's a drainage hole, so that doesn't need filling. The mess on the left isn't so bad. It's got a lip on the other side of the door, so I can hold it there while I tack it. And that's about the worst of the damage, really. Which is good, as the repair panel's don't fit that well.

4. Lippyp Member

Lancashire UK
    Are you re-skinning the doors? Is that the shell you're repairing? Theres a TR7 breakers near me, I don't know what prices are like but would finding a better pair of doors not have been an option?

5. marknotgeorge

Derby, UK
    Reconditioned doors are £160, and second hand ones are £30 each. I've already got the doorskins (I paid about £50 for the pair), so all it takes is time.

Advertisements