the auld alliance

1. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

this week i rebuilt the magneto for this french machine its from around 1927 a magnat _debon 350 çc sidevalve
    it was the french copy of the Ajs at the time ,
    the quality of and general finish would put the english machine to shame
    it now runs very smooth , with steam engine like tickover
    20200629_105314.jpg

stuvy, Wallace, slim_boy_fat and 13 others like this.
  2. Matchless

Matchless Member

With a copy Burman Archer Hurth gearbox? and a copy pilgrim oil pump, worse than the Chinese!

3. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

just done this one too and test run if weather holds
    re done the thompson -bennet mag and fitted the correct points it had lucas ones that did not match the 45 Degree timing flux
    realy well engineered bike with swiss mag engine 500 cc ioe
    2 speed box foot and hand release clutch
    oilbaths to drip more oil for longer ! a qd rear wheel
    one of the inlet rockers was fouling the top cover causing a spit occasionaly i suspected a tight tappet
    had to releiive a bit out the cover
    gearbox is mounted in a big cast lug in the frame and has eccentric adjustment for primary chain
    and brembos 1920 s best dummy belt rim brakes
    its running sweet now
    im working my way through all the lads and his mrs collection they sort of pounced on me when they heard i was laid off
    well girls and there toys as they say, think its a 30s bsa sloper next

• 20200702_094600.jpg
    • 20200702_094653.jpg
    • 20200702_094628.jpg
    • 20200702_094647.jpg
    stuvy, Wallace, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  4. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

started sorting out this 30s bsa sloper for my pal today another bike thats been cosmeticaly restored , no spark so i removed the magdyno , straight away i noticed it was not band mounted as usual? 20200706_114912.jpg it had a heath robinson bracket , with an older 1925 magdyno , on stripdown the dynamo gears had been loose and sawing through the case
    shafts were now badly damaged and undersized , luckily i had some old more feasible bits to use , windings were usual soft and no continuity
    on the winder i have done the primary theres a bit intermediate thickness wire makes soldering the ht wire easier , with the old style lt leads on the both sides it always gives you 4 layers the later ones have a lead each side this enables a 5 layer primary this one i diverted the wire and started the wind from the opposite side to get 5 layers iit gives a bit of a lt boost

• 20200706_111908.jpg
    stuvy and Wallace like this.
  5. stuvy

stuvy Member

I love these classic old bikes always wanted a go on one

Advertisements