Thanks Malcolm.

1. digestives Member

Your web site is superb and a great inspiration,well to me anyway.I had a bad day of welding saturday and thought (as you do) the car is going to the scrapyard:mad: ,then I looked at the rust on that Aston:eek: and had a great day Sunday.This time I overlapped instead of butting.Much better.

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I had a similar inspiration looking at a guy from the states with a website about a completely rotten Chevy.

Believe it or not the Aston still isn't finished. I started full time on it a a couple of weeks ago but managed just 3 days before my eye went wrong. It's driving me mad but must be character building.

3. lexi Member

paisley
    Is it with the welding Malcom?
    Alex

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

No - scratched it while gardening last summer! Seems to have made the top layer of the cornea weak and it sticks to the eye lid and comes off. Pays to take care of the eyes. :cool:

5. noplacetosail Member

Ouch

You are SO correct I teach secondary and post secondary welding and I am constantly preaching about safety glasses and just yesterday I was troubleshooting a mig welder problem, lifted my glasses to see something better and poked myseld in the eye with .035 wire !
    Speaking of old cars and rust do you have any rust converter products over there in the UK ? We have been experimenting with 3 different products for 3 years now and have had some amazing results. It locks rust and converts rust and creates a black primer layer in one step.
    You guys have any experience with it?

regards,
    www.weldguru.com

6. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    On the subject of safety glasses, these are the ones i use.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/10/product-Ultra-Vision-Safety-Goggles-and-Face-Shield-21088.htm

They look a bit daft at first, but if your doing any heavy grinding in a tight corner you cant beat them. The sheild protects face, and the enclosed googles dont let anything through like a cheapy face shield.

Lenses are coated with anti mist, and easily go over normal glasses. The actual lense can be replaced seperatly to the frame and shield aswell.

7. sclurgess Member

northants
    noplacetosail i use a product like you describe which basically eats away at the rust back to good metal, then you wipe it off and weld straight onto it. i love the stuff just abit pricey

8. hammerite have one, cureit i think its called, never look at labels much, but it oxidises the rust, hardens it and turns it a blueish colour

Advertisements