Testing Pot Regulator

1. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Hi,
    How can one check if the regulator is working properly and the dial gauge giving an accurate reading?
    Also can one get a pressure regulator that will give a reading as low as 2/3PSI?
    Cheers.

2. cheb Forum Supporter

The latter? I might have one, back in a mo.

3. cheb Forum Supporter

Back in. I've got a regulator and it's yours if you PM me. 1/4" female in, 1/8" female out, 1/8" female for a gauge. There's no gauge with it, I've only got one and you can't have it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. hotponyshoes Member

Vac gauges often cover a few psi of +,
    Random example
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/264116133987

Another one to look for is a gauge for an inflatable boat or kayak as they only go up to 5psi or so. Cheap but might need some work on the fittings.
    Old aircraft gauges if you want to spend a bit more money
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/133067712848

Edit, not sure.if you actually wanted a gauge or just a regulator, sounds like the cheb has sorted the reg out. As for testing/checking a gauge the only simple way I know of would be to plumb it in conjunction with a known good one or a calibrated meter.

I have a meter if you are anywhere near me?

5. Anguz

Anguz Forum Supporter

bedfordshire
    i have the kit to check it if you need to know your gauge reads right

6. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Thanks for the offer I would prefer to be able to check if the regulators are working ok.

7. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

No not near you, a calibrated meter are these expensive?

8. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Thanks but too far.

9. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

OK thanks for that, will research that. These lower pressure regulators could I fix one in, so I could switch between the regulator that I'm using at 40PSI, over to the low pressure one, then switch over somehow back to the 40PSI one?
    Thanks.

10. hotponyshoes Member

You could connect both regulators to the same tank if you wanted. You would need a non return valve in the line from the low pressure one and some method (valve) on the tank to drop off the 40psi before refilling with low pressure.
    A non return valve will have some resistance so you would want the gauge mounted on the tank as you might need to turn the low pressure reg up a little.

Or you could have a valve on the low pressure reg outlet as long as you remembered to turn it off before turning on the 40psi one.

I paid about 200 for a used digital portable gauge but I think they start about 100 new up to whatever you want to spend.
    Calibration costs about 50 a year but varies depending how accurate you need it and you might want it done more than once a year.

If you bought a decent quality analogue gauge new then it would be within a certain spec and would come with a certificate and you could use it to check the tank gauge against. Or just fit it to the tank and take it of for recalibrate as required.

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

just out of curiosity why does it need to be so accurate pressure gauges can be had of ebay for less than a tenner if its for your blast pot it doesn't realy matter that much

12. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

This is what I've got on the wall at the moment. As mentioned in my other thread I'm quite new to all this. Replacement regulators are cheap enough I asked about testing them because when I fitted them onto the board I used high strength threadlock which might be a pig to get undone, without a flame gun. We used the flame gun yesterday to undo the assembly on the bottom of the pressure pot yesterday to see if was clogged up. Using the flame gun on the board to get the regulators and fittings undone is a tad more involved. The grit was stopping coming through and sometimes spurting I had the valve fully open. Problem might have an easy quick fix, just close the valve done so less grit is coming through. I read somewhere else making up a 6 inch copper or plastic stand pipe with holes in it.

• A (Small).JPG
    • B (Small).JPG
  13. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Well I'm surface etching, frosting glass as well as teaching myself multi level carving into glass. Frosting can be done around 30-40 PSI, another technique, shading, uses different degrees of gray tones, shading can be done at very low pressures 2/3 PSI.

Yesterday I had a friend helping I asked him to adjust the big black regulator that lets 90 PSI into the system I didn't mention about lifting the locking cap up before turning the knob.He used all his strength to try and turn the locked knob. I think that big black regulator and trap might now be knacked as can't open or close it. I watched a YouTube last night, showing taking a regulator apart and all the component parts. Do you think is now broken and beyound repair?
    Cheers.

14. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

I found this is available, https://www.mcmaster.com/3846k6-3846K61
    Single scale pressure gauge with steel case, pressure range 0 to 15 psi, didn't occur to me, could use a different range dial with the regulator, was under the impression the regulator only worked within the range of the dial, seems not.
    As I say I'm pretty new to all this. Saw another on Amazon.com again single scale 0-30 PSI. Had a quick look but couldn't locate anything in UK so far.

• gauge.jpg
  15. Dcal Member

What I've done before is put the lower pressure range guage on a ball valve so when the HP guage tells you the pressure in the system is within the range of the LP guage then turn the ball valve on to get the more accurate reading.
    Bourdon type pressure gauges do not like being operated above their range and this will damage or shorten the life of the instrument.
    The electronic type can cope with it much better.

16. hotponyshoes Member

For what you are doing I think something like that will be fine.
    A better quality gauge will give you good repeatablity, ie you will get the same reading each time.

I cant used any reason you would need to have a calibrated one. That's more for when you need to have it at an exact pressure according to instructions or specifications. I would think you will just experiment to get it right then use the same reading from the gauge every time.

17. Pollys13

Pollys13 Member

Set the system up lunchtime. As I mentioned the reading on the pot regulator on the wall board which is set at 40 psi, does not match the psi of the regulator on the pot itself, was going to write this figure down. When opened up the wall board regulator, air started to come out of hose in cabinet, also air was coming out of the pots safety relief valve. We must have damaged the safety valve over the week end so will order a replacement.

Advertisements