Tension roller for Powercraft pcmig 130/08

1. Frank Barriscale New Member

Hello to everyone, just joined this great forum, so be gentle to a newbee. I have the above mentioned welder. My problem is the tension roller does not run true, i.e. when the roller is feeding the wire, it wobbles from side to side thus causing the wire to coil up and stop it from feeding the gun. At this time, i cannot get replacement parts for this machine. Does anyone know where I can get one that is compatible with this welder ? Many thanks to all.
    Regards,
    Frank B.

2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Is it just moving from side to side or is it slack on the spindle too? Side to side could be cure with a small washer or two.

3. Frank Barriscale New Member

Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply, no it's not slack on the spindle, it is like there is a buckle in the roller. I took it off the machine and rolled it on a flat surface i.e. kitchen table, there was a wobble in the roller when I did this test. The spindle is very tight in the roller. I would fit a new roller, if I could get one .
    Regards,
    Frank b.

4. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Frank if you have the kit the 7n post up the dimensions of the roller as in outside diameter, inside diameter, width and does it have a keyway/grub screw or "D" shaft.
    It could be that there is a roller from another machine that may fit. Even screwfix were (but don't seam to now) doing one. Could be Machine Mart may have same, failing that then take a look in the "Tecarc" catalog which you can download here http://www.technicalarc.co.uk/index.php/tecarc-mig
    Do you think your roller is oval or could it be there is a build up of rust/crud on it ?
    And welcome BTW :hug:

gordon stephenson likes this.
  5. Frank Barriscale New Member

Hi Mike, it seems there is some 'play' in the roller when it rotates on the spindle i.e. when I press the trigger on the gun, the spool will rotate fine, but the tension roller does not rotate 'true', there is a 'wobble' in the roller, which causes the wire to 'coil up' as it is being fed into the wire liner of the torch. I have lost a lot of wire off the spool due to this problem. On examination of the roller, it is tight on the spindle, there is no rust on it, and no crud . Mike, thanks for your input and the links, much appreciated.
    Regards, Frank.

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Frank.:waving:

Any chance there is a slight bend in the spindle too? :dontknow:

gordon stephenson likes this.
  7. Frank Barriscale New Member

Hello to everyone,
    I've been missing for awhile, update, problem solved ! I took out the old roller and brought it to my local bearing company here in Cork, i was lucky that he had two in stock. Brought home and fitted new 'bearing', now working as good as new.
    slim-boy-fat, thanks for your reply, sorry for not replying sooner, the spindle is fine. A big thank you to all, for your help and input .
    Kind regards,
    Frank.

Advertisements