Telwin Force 195 issue

1. janki New Member

Hello,
    I'm a newbie at welding and I bought the Telwin Force 195.
    I had no experience at all and it seemed too easy to weld and start an arc with this machine. I haven't used it a lot but it started to be much harder to start an arc with a new electrode. When an electrode has been used and the flux extends much longer from the metal part it's working fine. With new electrodes it always stucks and I have to try 5-10 times to start the arc. I have tried more than 50 electrodes and it happens every time.
    My concern is that I could always start an arc with new electrodes when the machine was new. I measured the OCV and the multimeter reads about 20V. I know it's low but I'm not sure if that measurement is an indication of a problem and what problem it is. Could anyone with a similar machine measure the OCV? What could be the problem? Should I replace the IGBT?

2. hotponyshoes Member

If it still welding ok and you can start an arc ok on a part used electrode I dont expect there is much wrong with the machine.

Are all of those 50 electrodes you tried from the same packet?
    My guess would be that the electrodes have got damp (moisture from the air can cause this) from when you first opened opened the packet.
    Try some brand new ones or pop a couple of yours into a fan oven on low for a while to dry them out and try them again.

3. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    I see that machine allegedly has a 'hot start' function - maybe that has stopped working (or you have inadvertently turned it off)?

Try getting the rod going on a bit of scrap by rough scraping it to get the arc started before moving to the workpiece.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. janki New Member

Most of the electrodes I tested were from the same package. I tried a couple electrodes I borrowed from a friend but I had the same results. The weird thing is that it started happening suddenly one day and it didn't improved ever since.
    The 'hot start' function was working fine when the machine was new. There are no settings on the machine to turn on or off its functions.
    What piece of hardware on the circuit board is responsible for this function? Is this a sign of bad IGBT or something else?

Advertisements