tecalemit compressor

1. HAILWOOD 2009 New Member

bedfordshire u.k
    hi i am having trouble with my tecalemit v twin( ca 1834 /tp 61803) i have a serious oil leak problem that i cannot locate ? the compressor seems to have an excessive crank case pressure could this be blowing the oil out ? i dont understand what the two 1/4" copper pipes (one enters the inlet manifold) are doing ,i presume they are part of the lube system to the main bearings ? is it possible to get a manual for this model (approx 1970).
    can any body help ? thanks in advance

2. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

if you seem to heve excessive crank case pressure the only advise is to strip the pump and check for broken rings or very worn bores and make new gaskets up as you rebuild it

3. wyn

wyn Member

This tecalmit compressor of that sort of age uses an ingersol rand T30 pump.... 1968 one in the pic.
    The pipe going into the centre of the crankcase is used to unload the pressure in the pump when it shuts off.
    The other pipe...from what i remember.... vents the area around the input shaft...probably the crankcase as well.
    I think it was splash lubrication.

[​IMG]

4. HAILWOOD 2009 New Member

bedfordshire u.k
    many thanks to " the snooper" and "wyn "for the replies,the photos posted are of the same comp as mine ,what a super job you have made of it especially the air filter.interesting about the true manufactures identity and the manufacturing period , i also wondered if the piston rings /cylinder seal was causing the excess crank case pressure but thought it might be meant to aid main bearing lubrication,what type of main bearings /big end bearings do they have?
    and what about spare parts particularly piston rings

5. wyn

wyn Member

The main bearings are roller bearings.... Two at the belt pulley end.
    i think the con rods were a brass/bronze type affair running straight on the crank...pic below with the centrifugal unloading valve.
    I'm not too sure on spares.

[​IMG]

6. eil Member

N Wales
  7. wyn

wyn Member

That's a good link eil...saved that for future use.

8. eil Member

N Wales
    The unloading valve is different in that one, I did get another one but cant find it at the moment, if I come across it i will put it up.

9. AndyStobbs Member

Sorry for the thread revival, but I wondered if any of the guys with Tecalemit compressors have found issue with overall balance of the rotating/reciprocating parts?

The reason I ask is I bought a Tecalemit compressor, very much smaller than those in this thread and finally ran it up yesterday (after about a year of kicking it round). On mine the pistons are not offset by 180 degree CA but by much less, so one comes over top dead just a little after the other - the whole thing seemed to be very bouncy.

Advertisements