tec-arc 211 compact wire feed prob

1. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Right here goes,i seem to have to ramp up the wire speed on the dial further than i think i ought to, to get decent speed.
    I get no movement when dials on 1(no probs) moving it clockwise its not until its at say 3/4 i get some movement,but way to slow, 5 through to 7 bit faster but still not enough(well just about) for the lowest welding setting to get a weld.
    I'm now on 8-9 on the dial for whats required,it goes to 10,this is all on settings course 1 fine 1/2
    This of course is under load ie pulling 0.8 wire off a 15kg reel down a 4mt torch lead
    Off load i've tried it and seems to me as above i'm still getting the same motor speed.
    Make sense so far?
    So what we talking here, duff potentiometer? Wire feed motor? or summit else
    Reading around i see it can be tested,can this be done while still on the board or does it have to be removed?
    Photo of the said thing
    IMG_20191127_112318.jpg

Just to add 1 more thing,on course 2 settings it does move faster as i go through the dial,but i cant use C2 thats way to much juice
    Thanks chaps:thumbup:

2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Just to add,i dont have spot timer on this unit

3. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Pot very unlikely as it only provides a small amount of power to the motor driving transistor/ic.
    Motor, unlikely unless you have been hammering this machine!
    More likely poor connections or failing motor driver transistor/ic.
    Put a meter across the motor terminals to get an ideal of what voltage is is receiving in this poorly condition that way IF you feel you may have fixed it you will have a comparison of before and after.
    Just maybe sticking brushes in motor causing poor current flow. Not sure how easy they are to get at on this machine/feed.
    Any diagrams of the pcb or pics ?

4. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Couple of pics of board
    IMG_20191219_150510.jpg
    IMG_20191219_150606.jpg
    1st reading here is at the lowest setting course 1 fine 1 dial maxed out (10)
    IMG_20191219_151807.jpg
    Next is max setting course 2 fine 6
    IMG_20191219_152037.jpg
    Theres a drop of about 1.5v on both readings when i turn dial down to 0
    Anygood?

5. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

i had a tec arc 181, the wire feed unit is plastic cased what I found was one of the self tapper screws was loose on mine, the other thing to double check is wire roll spring tension too tight, slacken it right of just to check and lastly when was the last time you changed the torch liner ,they do slowly get bunged up , easy way to check is cut the wire at the roll, with tensioner off try pulling the wire through the torch from the tip , should come out really easily .

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    All checked+new liner:thumbup:

7. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

well you have done the easy/obvious culprits then..

8. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/oxford-241-wire-feed-problems.72457/
    Post number 4 seams to indicate that the weld power selection plays a part in controlling the wire feed supply. Might be worth spraying some contact cleaner into the rotary switches.
    The voltages you have shown are not under a load condition (motor not connected) Ideally it should be under load.
    If the motor is a 24v one then what it is showing is low. If it is a 12v then under no load that may be about right. Butt better to test under load.
    Suspect items might be the two transistors. probable find the small one controls the larger (heatsink one).
    Dirty/pitted contacts on the relay (clear plastic box one).

Shedendman likes this.
  9. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Think i've got that,will try tomorrow what you've suggested,see what happens then:thumbup:

10. bwservices Member

the two small preset pots on that board are probably minimum and maximum wire speed
    try adjusting them

11. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    @mike 109444 Might be worth spraying some contact cleaner into the rotary switches.
    Done :thumbup:
    Theres nothing on the motor itself to tell me if its 12v or 24v
    IMG_20191220_115334.jpg
    So,connected meter up as so
    IMG_20191220_111350.jpg

Now did some tests,sorry no photos just results,only one pair of hands:laughing:
    But wow:o,things totally different
    IMG_20191220_113015.jpg
    the highlighted ones,the ones on the right are tip voltage results,will ad the wire feed tensioner was off
    Perhaps that bit of contact cleaner did the trick:dontknow:
    I guess i'll just have to live with it,i mean it still doing what its meant to do,but it a different way:dontknow:
    I'll see how things go when i'm working it
    Thanks chaps

Advertisements