Talk to me about press brakes...

1. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    The long term plan was always to have a decent size guillotine and press brake for part-time business and farm projects.

I have an 1820mm wide guillotine, yes its narrow and very old but shears 1/4" MS cleanly, which makes it very versatile for jobbing.... if only it were 200mm wider! But it would have cost 3-4x as much.

I want a press brake that WILL bend material at least 2000mm wide, though. Probably leave a single set of tooling on it that will cover up to 90 degree bends in 3mm mild steel. (and hence cover 2.5mm stainless steel as well)

from what I can work out, I will want something around 50 tonnes force minimum? I haven't much experience with press brakes, always having used box and pan folders in the past.

budget around £3k, probably not ready to buy one for another couple of months, but will be keeping my eyes open fro anything that looks good.

things to look for? Things to look out for?

steve t likes this.
  2. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Buying SH watch for maintenance cost & part availability the one in background has cost a bomb to keep running
    DSCF0022.JPG

3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

200 ton press break homemade

mtt.tr, fizzy, Munkul and 1 other person like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

^^ That's impressive! :thumbup:

5. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    that's a good effort! I don't have the time or patience to make my own, though.
    @500e , what were the main failure points? Hydraulic pack? Or mechanical action? Whatever I buy will probably be hydraulic, ie less to go wrong... he says!

There's a beautiful looking Promecam 35t press on ebay atm, looks to be less than 20 miles away... but I think it's on the weak side to be doing any 3mm, unless i buy specific wide Vee tooling :(

6. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Had valve pack failure rams not staying in sync more than once computer failed twice safety IR had to be replaced old ones cost more to repair than a new system,, it will store a series of bends sheet thickness, pressures, back stop settings.
    The valve pack is not a service item any more could be a big cost the computer is playing up again no fast speed

Munkul likes this.
  7. Troy New Member

Consider what you actually need we have a few press brakes a
    old crank Handel ursviken 250 ton
    DNC Procam 250 ton
    DNC Edwards 350 ton
    And a break bed
    They all get alot of use and the procam causes more issues than any other but it's realtive to the amount of work it does

Provided u keep the oil clean and toped up they are usually pretty reliable

They all have there quirks and mechanical / electrical knowledge helps
    Common failures are people cutting or dropping on the pedal
    Quiet often the computer loses track of where the blade is pretty easy to solve but by far the most reliable is the break bed it's very versatile

8. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

We never had any problems with our two ursviken machines in the shipyard, and they were working 7am till midnight pretty much non stop

9. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    So I'm either brilliant, or a massive fool... but I went to see a local machine last night, a 35 ton 2m Promecam machine with 1" Vee tooling, it's probably a bit lighter than i wanted, but it's in good condition, very simple (no CNC or nuthin) the right price, and it's light enough to put on the flatbed trailer so transport is basically free.

Should collect tonight.... ready to put into the new workshop :)

Brad93, Windy Miller and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    plonked it down where I wanted it, so far this workshop has literally two items in it, the guillotine and the brake...! Looking forward to using it, what a pleasure to use over the old box+pan machine that used to be in here.

[​IMG]

Makes the guillotine looks shabby though. It really needs a good clean.

Brad93 likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

How much did that set you back?

12. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    £3k.

Bear in mind its no bells or whistles, single set of tooling that's more than halfway through its life, and only 35T capacity. Even so, it's in great condition and a handy size for most sheet metal work. Could have got a better deal, but this was literally 15 min away and I could tow it back myself.

Our 3.5T telehandler managed it no problem, but really struggled to move the guillotine :D it would barely lift off the floor, and the load monitor was screaming at me! Glad it was just moving a few feet.

Brad93 likes this.
  13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s not bad at all

Munkul likes this.
Advertisements