Tailstock bit low

1. fizzy Member

uk
    I don't know if this is the right way to test. Centre point punch held in a collet and a dead centre in the tailstock. Tailstock is a fraction low. Seems ok side to side.
    How do I correct this?

20200720_192351.jpg

20200720_192428.jpg

2. fizzy Member

uk
    Samsung cameras are amazing! And look at the way the light reflects giving a clear line between the 2 parts.

nickk likes this.
  3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Probably worn bed near the Chuck
    Turn up a test bar and check.

Any adjustments on the TS

4. fizzy Member

uk
    Side to side only I think?
    When you say a test bar do you mean between centres?

5. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

There (usually) only side to side adjustment on a tailstock. My m300 tailstock was not only worn on the base it was bell mouthed as well. The base error was taken out by scraping; it was 17thou in one corner, less in the others.

once Id built up the lathe I had to bore out the tailstock and sleeve it. Good as new now, but took some work to put it right.

Linky to thread https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/m300-tailstock-refurb-boring-and-sleeve.39064/

indy4x, eLuSiVeMiTe and Hopefuldave like this.
  6. nickk Forum Supporter

You could place some shims under the T/S to lift it.

pressbrake1 and fizzy like this.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Between the base and the upper part, so at the sliding joint used to adjust offset.

Stupoty and fizzy like this.
  8. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Its a huge bodge. The tailstock base is likely worn, as will be the bed. Where do you take your measurements from to get it on centre? As soon as you move it the error will change.

Edit; sounds like Im having a go at you @Seadog.:hug::hug:. Im not:thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    zx9, minimutly, fizzy and 1 other person like this.
  9. minimutly Member

Agree, and the wear in the bed is likely more than the wear in the tailstock. And unless you're machining small diameter long stuff it won't make that much difference anyway. And if you are machining small diameter long stuff you should do a test cut to correct any errors with the tailstock. Ok, this is a fix that won't be a guaranteed fix due to non linear errors, but it could help.
    Please accept that this is a teach yourself machinists opinion, not a time served turner's.

fizzy and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  10. fizzy Member

uk
    I think I have worked out a way to measure it. I have a vernier height gauge. I could use some parallels on the ways and check it at various points along the bed.
    Is that a plan?

11. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

no idea ask Balderic :hug::scared: sorry

Steveblade and fizzy like this.
  12. Pete.

Pete. Member

The proper way to measure it is to put something in the chuck and turn it down to the diameter of the tailstock. ~Then bring the tailstock up to the part and mount a dial gauge on the carriage. Use the carriage to run the dial gauge from one to the other. The difference is how low you are, shim to suit.

Really though the vertical offset has very little effect on the part produced unless the part is very small in diameter. Side to side offset has a huge effect mind.

Matchless and fizzy like this.
  13. fizzy Member

uk
    I suspect I am expecting a bit too much from a 55 year old lathe.
    All this thousands of an inch nonsense I expect it to be bang on :laughing:

Bullet2012 likes this.
  14. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

If you want to know where the tailstock bore is in relation to the spindle,
    stick a dial gauge in the chuck and rotate it in the tailstock bore.

15. Steveblade

Steveblade Member

Yeah thats the correct method as Graffian said, thats how you dial in the turret on a cnc lathe. Error in the tail stock is error makes no difference if its centre hight error or left right its an error. The longer a drill is , mounted in the tail stock, the further it will be off centre. Why do you think you keep your drills (and tools short) in general ?

Good question though I could use the answer to for a Harrison lathe, Id guess the tail stock and ways are knackered to be fair.

fizzy likes this.
  16. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Shim it. The front of the tailstock sled / base wears.
    It’s not a bodge it’s a non invasive way of sorting it and opening a can of worms.

Put a clock reading to of quill and slide tailstock with quill fully extended to measure droop

If you look underneath the tailstock base where in runs on the bed wear will be visible. The bed certainly doesn’t wear worse than the tailstock

fizzy likes this.
  17. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    As Pete says for general work being slightly low isn’t a problem unless you want a reamer to cut to size

18. Pete.

Pete. Member

You have to be very careful doing this. If you mount the dial gauge on a rod and rotate the chuck the rod will bend under the weight of the gauge (and itself) and mess up your readings,

Put a mag base on a small surface plate, zero the gauge then turn the plate over, you'll see the gauge has moved 5-10 thou probably.

fizzy, eLuSiVeMiTe and pressbrake1 like this.
  19. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I use a dial indicator bolted to a bit of bar. It seems to work OK.

tailstock-centre1.jpg

fizzy likes this.
  20. Pete.

Pete. Member

It would do, but you'll never know how much the bar bends under it's own weight using that setup. Won't be much with a bar that chunky but it WILL be bending.

Advertisements