Surface water soakaway question

1. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know what the vertical pipe is for in this image? NMP but I think is the set up we have
    under our garden.
    Stuck a tape measure down the pipe and it is 1.8m deep and dry. Odd because i've spent most of the afternoon jetwashing the drive and trying to clear a blockage from the Aco infront of the garage. If the Aco leads to this i would have expected a load of water to be in the crates.
    42982a364dc9052c9bd6566c7e056e14.jpg

2. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

That goes some way to confirm my suspicions that around 90% of Aco is just fitted to keep planners happy and is never connected to anything anyway, at least around this way.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  3. Welderpaul

The Aco is fitted to stop water running down the drive and into my garage. It is connected to something, but is blocked to a degree. Nothing I can rod without digging out the last Aco in the run and the trap that it is piped into.

4. MCKDAVID Member

Some kind of breather maybe?

5. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Welderpaul and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Tom O Member

Can they get a air lock in them? Going by the height of it I’d say it’s a breather too.

7. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Soak away systems don't have or need a breather. I done loads of them . The white pipe in the picture will be the water inlet. When it's been filled with stone and wrapped the pipe will be cut down to take a collar and pipe from the acco.

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  8. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

@spencer 427 I might have to tap you up for some info one day as I have a new soakaway to install before the winter .

spencer 427 likes this.
  9. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    The best way to do it in my opinion is a catch pit with a pump. This was my last job I did. It was a 2.5 IMG-20180819-WA0002.jpg mtr dig. Concrete rings. Inlet comes from the back that takes water from acco drains as well as the garage roof. There is also a French drain. Its pumped back out to an existing gully at the front of the garage.

hunter27, slim_boy_fat and 8ob like this.
  10. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

No existing drains to connect to here, and we're on clay......
    There's an old soakaway that's blocked and now too close to the house extension anyway.

spencer 427 likes this.
  11. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    The catch pit I done was also on clay..you can put soakaway in clay ground they just need to be deeper ..

dobbslc likes this.
  12. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Do you have a waste gully that takes the kitchen sink waste.

13. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I do but it's on the other side of the house! Building control are involved so I doubt I'll get away without putting in a new soakaway :mad:

14. Welderpaul

15. Welderpaul

The vertical pipe in the picture has a little inspection cover (toby) on it in our case - I don't think water gets into it from this pipe.

16. 8ob

8ob Member

Never seen a pipe like that sticking out of soakaway crates before :dontknow:

Bob

17. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Just to make you happier, in 2000 , when I had our conservatory done for the 1989 built bungalow the foundation was dug to 1200 deep as it was on sand and gravel land , in one corner of the foundation trench was a light brown /orange soil pipe
    seeing as it ran about 18 inches parallel with our bungalow & picked up on the other wall side foundation trench adjacent to the bungalow I assumed it would be the roof water route from next door or a route from our downpipe running through next doors garden.

In a burst of sheer genius I decided to pop a hose pipe down the gutter end of the down pipe at the corner of our bungalow , turn on the hosepipe and prove the route for I was looking to put a garage roof drainage in a few months later.

I could hear the water running , went & lifted access hole cover number 1 ..no water , 2 no … water , three …. no water , 4 no water . Well that took care of all the manholes on our property
    went to the adjacent semi detached bungalow & asked if I could lift the lids to see if our rain water ran through their the manholes . All lids lifted , nothing found . Went to the next pair of bungalows did the same nothing found .
    To this day I don't know where they ran to , there was no big soak away reservoir on the plans . Both the other bungalows rain water ran through manholes on their properties to the street rain water system .

Don't think there was a sink hole under the bungalow ...but you never know . :D

:) Could it be :doh:that your soak away has never been connected , try filling the thing with a hose pipe unless of course you are on a water meter. :laughing:

18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Just a heads up but if you have a soakaway and your water is metered, you can apply for a discount to the water supplier. They charge a proportion of the fixed fee for waste water disposal.

My guess is the pipe is intended for use to plumb into a drain or perhaps a pump for any excess. And no, that's not a good idea!

Advertisements