Superking Size Bed Frame

1. Millentubby Member

Hi folks,

I discovered yesterday that my cheap divan bed base is knackered. I thought about bodging it (again) but I'd rather find a permanent solution.

I have 50x50x3mm angle, 25x25x3mm angle and 25x25x2mm hollow square section and some flat/round bar.

Drew this up on ProCreate on the iPad w/apple pencil last night (first time using- great bit of kit!) - anyone made something similar? If I use 50x50 angle for the perimeter of the top plane and 25x25 hollow square section for the rest will it be sturdy enough presuming 'normal' use (keep it clean! :whistle: )

I've been told by my OH that I'd prefer something fairly high with room for storage boxes underneath and that can be easily vacuumed under.

It will need to be carried upstairs so I think two separate sides that can be bolted together will do the job (red tabs on bottom pic are tabs for connecting).

Each side will be 900mm wide x 2000mm (3'x6'6").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, any ideas what it might cost to powdercoat?

Cheers, MT.

2. gaz_moose Member

cost you more than just buying one

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Millentubby Member

The powder coating? Or the build?

I have the metal stock lying about, and I'd hope to end up with a better quality product that will last much longer.

4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I made all of the beds in my house but they are made of wood, they are all quite high but storage underneath is great. Made the first one probably 17 years a go and we still sleep on it every night. It doesn't creek/squeek or move at.

It's very rewarding making something so important in your life, I think it will be more of a challenge to make one in metal that doesn't look too industrial unless that is a look that you like.

Millentubby and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive adapted all my beds higher but they have been wood beds

kingsize and bunk beds strengthened and highered on the sides matress sits higher on the frame so when getting out of bed your not pushing on your knees to get up

the middle is strengthened by a post going down the middle and also a thickish single post in middle

a word of warning once you strengthen the bed becomes solid compared to the divan

your problem is when or if you move its the strip down and move the bed problem you will face

Millentubby likes this.
  6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

on mine its 400mm high and matress sits inside of it by an 1" this allows people that are tall to have the matress higher than the knee

its a wood frame and can fit 11" boxes underneath it for storage

7. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I'd go for wood, it would be lighter for a start. I made mine 30 inches from the ground to the bottom of the mattress. It's much easier to get in and out of as @gaz1 says.

Millentubby and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

are you sure that its 30 inches high as that would mean its hip height?

like a cabin bed

9. rtbcomp

^^ Yup 30 inches, I did that deliberately because it's so much easier to get out of and I need the storage space underneath.

10. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I thought mine was high at 28" to the top of the matress but your's is going to be another 10" on top of that

11. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    20160806_101049.jpg Here is my bed - excuse the mess!
    Cost me nothing at all - totally unbreakable - but weighs 363kg without the mattress!

rockweasel and gaz1 like this.
  12. rtbcomp

And if you die in your sleep they hoik you away on a forklift :(

Wozzaaah, Millentubby and fizzy like this.
Advertisements