Superglue

1. Johnrob Member

Are all superglues (cyanacrolate) the same?

For instance is a cheap poundshop glue as good as a recognised brand, is it marketing, or better chemistry.?

Any recommended brands?

Thanks

2. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Gorilla glue bought from Aldi seems to keep well in the fridge and live up to the claims

brightspark likes this.
  3. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

The impression I get is that they are all the same...there are different types, I like the gel, no drip, variety.......still a quid for 2 from The Range.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. Migmac

Migmac Member

Gorilla superglue does as it says. Others don’t, I do think you get what you pay for.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. JLP

JLP Member

Gorilla wont stick polished brass to polished steel - but works on everything else I've tried and is as cheap as poundland stuff

6. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Member

I use super glue and activator spray. Works like a charm every time. Repaired a broken locator tab on a Corsa headlight with it a couple of weeks back now.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    No, there's a lot of quality difference in the resins, activator, etc, same as there is with epoxies and other glues.
    I usually buy Cyanotec because it's decent strength and mainly because it lasts years without curing in the bottle, unlike the poundland specials that seem to have gone solid in a week or two. The 3M toughened option is great for repairing stuff that flexes a little too.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    For DIY use there is very little difference. They can all be bulked out with talc or fine powder. The activator sprays help them set faster.
    I ran a production line once where we had automated dispensers delivering metered doses. We needed a glue that wouldn't leave a bloom and dry totally clear. We used the loctite Prism range for that but for general use most are the same.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

A guy at the Harrowgate wood working show has stand just selling one type of superglue, I his demo's he glues 30mm nuts together face to face, pieces of hard and soft wood, various plastics and rubber "O" rings of all sizes, All given to the "audience" to try to break, after just a few seconds, He recons it will glue anything that doesn't end in ene, (polythene , alkathene, styrene) etc. Doesn't Use a special "bottle" just takes a new bottle from his stock for each demo, Very impressive to see, Price is two 20ml for £10-00

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Johnrob Member

Thanks for that, I think Wilkos do the Gorilla stuff, which is handy.

11. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I was once sent two pieces of Ally (dont know the grade) stuck together with double sided tape. The task set was to pull them apart. Being a smart ass I put them in a 100T tensile testing machine.....it pulled them apart but it was the Aluminium that failed.

Munkul, DAPPH, Turbo and 6 others like this.
  12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Everbuild Superglue HV (high viscosity) is the only one I like using....the HV means its a lot thicker than the runny pound shop versions!

WorkshopChris likes this.
  13. JLP

JLP Member

Did you get a reward for being the smart Alec?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Appyasme1

Appyasme1 Member

Stick to what you think works for you.

15. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Hopefully not literally!! :-)

tlovatt, DAPPH, monky harris and 3 others like this.
  16. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I use quite a lot when wood bothering and turning in the workshop, the last three batches I purchased were generic thin and thick from ebay - its as good as any of the named brands and much cheaper, I generally use an activator, and always keep it in the freezer so it doesnt go off in the bottle. I usually buy the large (50ml) bottles and get 5 or 6 of each viscosity at a time. Works for me and much cheaper.

17. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I always got multipacks of 5g Loctite tubes so less was wasted when it went off in the nozzle but since I discovered keeping it in the fridge that's not been a problem so a bigger bottle makes more sense if you'll use it. Poundshop ones tend to be really thin, it could just be a low viscosity formulation or maybe it's watered down, I'm not sure, the advantage of a branded one is you know what you're getting.

There's also special variations like rubber reinforced (Loctite Blackmax?) or the ultra clear stuff Fizzy mentioned, you'd know if you needed that though. Baking soda reacts with it instantly and acts as a filler, you can build up little fillets inside critical joints with it that way.

DAPPH, zx9 and fizzy like this.
  18. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Funny story Re: Super glue, Around ten years back, Answered the door after hearing some loud banging, single lady that lived nearby was kicking at my front door, Standing there with her fingers glued together with a small wooden earring in the middle of them, She had glued the earring back together and held the two halves while it set. Took me ages to gradually prise the fingers apart under a warm running tap. I thought she should have had more sense as she was a school teacher, But as we all know, common sense isn't very common these days!!

DAPPH, Turbo, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  19. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

When I was a wayward teenager I once glued my hand to a desk with superglue to get out of doing an exam :doh:

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time:clapping:

DAPPH, Turbo, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  20. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

i use no nonsense superglue from screwfix.
    never failed so far: only wood and plastics, the odd neodymium magnet.
    its only about £1.50 for 20ml - doesnt seem to go "off" very quickly.

Advertisements