Suicide doors on moggy 1000

1. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

I have mate that is doing a moggy 1000 and he is going for a more custom build rather than a standard restoration, one of the things he is wanting to do is fit suicide doors has anyone tried this or got any info on a way to do it, the car is a 2 door so i think it will look good.

2. cardiffrob Member

B-post on a 2-door Minor is very weak. They often crack right through at the corner of the rear side glass. It would need some serious stiffening to be strong enough to hold the door,

Olderisbetter likes this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Tell him to go really mad and try gull-wing doors :doh: Moggy owners club has someone who did it.

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

5. stuvy

stuvy Member

6. stuvy

stuvy Member

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

So Normal behaviour then.

The Moggy B post are terrible.
    As said not strong enough.
    Will be rusty at the bottom.
    The attachment at the sill and roof end will need beefing up.

There was a Moggy place near Bath, don't know if they are still going. They had a red one with those doors on it.

To me it looked very badly done, but the work done was there to make sure the doors would be safe.

Olderisbetter, slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  8. The_Yellow_Ardvark

9. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

You can get 'hidden hinge kits' from the states that can be used for suicide doors. There will be a few importers like Duksville or jackhammer.

10. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    I have owned quite a few Moggies, If you are contemplating suicide doors make damn sure the catches & locking is foolproof. Moggy doors have a habit of falling open at the best of times usually when cornering, wouldnt want that to happen with doors hinged at the rear!

Olderisbetter and jerrytug like this.
  11. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Hence the name, Suicide Doors. Door swings open unexpectedly and you dive to grab it. Looked like suicide officer :o That was before seat belts were compulsory though.

jerrytug and stuvy like this.
  12. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Would be a giggle though. One heck of a lot of engineering to put the metalwork in to support the door and to make the catches foolproof, but it would be fun to see.

jerrytug likes this.
  13. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Not just that or disappearing passengers.

My Sunbeam Talbot had rear hinged rear doors.

A female passenger in the rear seat unfamiliar with older cars failed to fully latch it when getting in, then once on the move she opened it to relatch it.

Swung fully open and I had a massive nearside air brake - damn near put us in the ditch! Didn't damage the hinges though, they built 'em from girrrders in those days.

I loved the rear hinged front doors on my Alvis. Could park within a foot of a wall, car or other obstruction and still get out. With front hinged doors you have to open them enough to get your feet out at the hinge end, meaing a metre/yard or so at the latch end. Made that mistake when buying my late Mum's Astra. Just you Mum so get the cheaper 2 door. Then found it has massive doors and it was a first magnitude pain in the nether regions getting in and out in the garage or car park.

So if you can do it - go for it! I wish more modern cars would fit them to front and rear doors.

jerrytug likes this.
  14. MBB Forum Supporter

They are nicknamed suicide doors for a reason. I don't know if any manufacturer puts them on their cars now.

Reman likes this.
  15. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Photo004.jpg

This AC had those doors.

When we got an MOT on it. We had an "Advisory" to fit an approved secondary catch/ lock/retainer.

It was not a legal requirement. but advisory.The AC owners club didn't do one, so we made up a leather and brass strap.

Olderisbetter and slim_boy_fat like this.
  16. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Rolls-Royce

daleyd likes this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Lincoln in 'Murica.

18. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Typical problem with testers unfamiliar with cars older than themselves.

First time I presented the Alvis for MoT it failed on excessive brake pedal travel and excessive play at the steering wheel. Fortunately it came from the era when the owner's manual gave step by step instructions on cylinder head removal and decoking and other routine maintenance items.

So I was able to show the tester the OEM's instructions:

'When the brake pedal fouls the floor adjust as follows:'
    'When the play at the steering wheel rim exceeds 4 inches adjust as follows:'

Mikey D and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

20. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

As the last of the FX-4 taxis? Fairly easy to make from scrap central locking solenoids and some ingenuity. The issue with the Moggy isn't security, but just to stop the passenger opening the door whilst the vehicle is in gear. Maybe just have it engage with ignition live?

Advertisements