Stupid Is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. metalmelt Member

Nice steady day today, nobody bothering me and all went well and my lorry phone rang, it was one of our Directors asking if I was on my way back to the works, said leaving in 15 minutes and he asked if I could call round at his brothers as his welder wasn't working correctly. He asked if I had plenty of gas bottles on the truck which I had and said drop the part full one off if his brother needed it. Got to his brothers who explained he wasn't getting gas so a quick look saw a straightforward set up and yes, he had turned his bottle on but wasn't getting gas at the welder. Checked his contents gauge and it said nearly full but we all know contents gauges can lie, so cracked a pipe and no gas, cracked the flowmeter to regulator and hey presto, gas.

It turned out he turned the flowmeter right down and forgot to set it when he turned his bottle back on.

Got home and began having a nice afternoon and the phone rang, a young lad whose father I know rang and asked if I could shed some light on his welder, he said no power keeps coming, his father is an electrician who replaced the power lead for a longer and larger cable so he could leave it hard wired and move around his garage workshop.
    Went round and looked at the welder and he hadn't turned the main breaker on.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2020
    optima21, wacky7791, Turbo and 15 others like this.
  2. james marnell Member

:laughing: couldn't write it could you

James1979 likes this.
  3. dyno-tron

dyno-tron Member

We've all done something like this, but the difference between people is how you deal with it. Is the first instinct to call international rescue and waste their time? Or have a "doh" moment, give yourself a slap, and sort it out yourself :doh:

metalmelt, slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  4. james marnell Member

You would think so.mate but common sense anit as common as it sounds lol

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

No, it's definitely a misnomer. :)

dyno-tron and James1979 like this.
  6. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Those sort of things were trade tests when I was a boy

metalmelt likes this.
  7. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    but we've all been guilty of not seeing the wood for the trees at some time or another, and a fresh pair of eyes spots the problem straight away . . . Stupid is when he calls you for no gas/power for the same reason

metalmelt and dyno-tron like this.
  8. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

It's easy done :) The number of times I've fired up the TIG set and got no arc, only to realise I haven't swapped my return lead back over...

anto, James1979, metalmelt and 2 others like this.
  9. minimutly Member

Hah, mine gives me a massive belt if I do that -so much so that even after you connect it, the next time you press the trigger it makes you hold your breath...

Munkul likes this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Member

I nearly had the cover off the plasma cutter as the pilot arc was there but no arc. I was using the Tig return clamp! :ashamed:

James1979, stuvy, metalmelt and 3 others like this.
  11. metalmelt Member

What made it worse is that it was Sunday and I had things planned.

12. metalmelt Member

A little update, our Director called me and asked if I could meet him at his brothers, upon my arrival he got his wife to let us into his workshop and the Director unrolled something, he has printed the flowmeter instructions onto A0 paper and laminated it, the print was so large you could almost read it from outer space, I had the dubious honour of attaching it to the wall next to his welder; we only just made it away before his brother arrived home.

Advertisements