Stripping exterior paint

1. clen666 Member

Co. Durham, UK
    Evening all,

my brick garage has a coating of flaking paint that needs addressing.

I started attacking it with a paint removal disc in an angle grinder hoping it would make it a speedy job.

I then thought this is an old house and I’ve no idea how long this paint has been in place, so there is potential for it to contain a few nasties, and turning it to dust probably isn’t the best idea.

Any advice for the best removal method for a large area of brickwork?

Thanks

2. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

If you are going to repaint it then I would probably just brush off the really loose stuff then a couple good coats of consolidating sealer then on with some paint.

Blackfriars "floor" sealer has done me proud a few times in this scenario.

https://www.blackfriar.co.uk/product/floor-sealer/

Shedendman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Parm

Parm We Will Do Whatever It Takes

Your two biggest hazards will be lead containing paint and respirable crystalline silica from the brick masonry dust.

As grim suggests, scrape / wire brush, then seal and paint

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    waddycall likes this.
  4. clen666 Member

Co. Durham, UK
    Thanks for the advice chaps, the lead was my primary concern and hadn’t even considered any dust from the wall itself.

I’m assuming even manual wire brushing will generate a level of dust so respiratory protection is still advised?

Would applying a paint stripper beforehand help the job or would that just result in more work by loosening up the sound paint (although there is very little of that)?

5. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

what about a decent power washer on a wet day......
    thats about now I think......???????

garethp likes this.
  6. clen666 Member

Co. Durham, UK
    I was actually just reading the pressure washer thread as the Karcher that I have acquired from the in-laws is on its last legs, same as all the previous karchers I’ve had.

I might look at hiring a decent one to get the job done for now

7. Ianb Member

Never used one, but would a wet blasting attachment be any good for this or would it be too slow on walls/or aggressive?

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

they work ok on a larger power washer but the wet sand slurry is unreal I sandblasted my house with sand but did it dry on a windy day and no neighbours to upset :)

Ianb likes this.
Advertisements