Storage tube advice needed.

1. 4String. New Member

Chaps.

Not sure if this is the best area for this, feel free to move if somewhere better.

I need to fit some kind of lockable storage tube behind the cab of my wagon, something along the lines of a Rhino tube that plumbers have on their van roofs. It will be used solely for storing my extending height measuring pole and a 4’ spirit level, and possibly a truck sized torque wrench, if ever I can acquire one :whistle:, and needs to be just over 4’ long and 4.5”-ish square to fit perfectly in a gap just forward of the fifth wheel subframe.

Have looked at various tubes online, but the prices frightened the bejesus out of me, so a homemade affair out of aluminium or m/s steel box will more than suffice, as long as it can be clamped securely in place and fitted with a locking “flap” at one end. Any suggestions or thoughts on design/availability of stock would be muchly appreciated.

2. nickk Member

If your making out of box section,be sure the end closing cap seals around the outside surfaces to weather properly,you’ll also get condensation,so need some drain and vent holes,if it’s critical,then a low current draw light or heat element.

3. stuvy Member

4. CompoSimmonite Member

What about underground soil pipe ? Very strong and thick walled with end caps available.

barking mat likes this.
  5. Anguz Member

bedfordshire
    4inch galv trunking

Westfield-builder likes this.
  6. gaz_moose Member

as has been said. id go for some big thick plastic pipe. like that gas main stuff..

7. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Consider welding up a framework out of small angle iron and add a lockable end cap, then slide in a length of plastic pipe in to hold your items. You can then pull the pipe out if necessary and dump out anything that might get stuck in the end.

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements