Steel prices

1. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    I came across this place earlier when I was looking for local places to buy mild steel from: https://www.austenknapman.co.uk/

I have no idea about prices though. Are their prices reasonable or am I better shopping around?

I want to build a turntable cart for garden use and think I could do it for a lot less than the £400+ the larger ones seem to go for (plus I fancy the challenge).

2. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Hopefuldave likes this.
  3. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Best prices I could find were at Brundles recently. Certainly cheaper than Metal Store and a lot cheaper than Metal Hub too.

Just check round bar prices, and you could get 3 full length bars of 25mm solid from Brundles against the price of Austen Knapman.

Hopefuldave and premmington like this.
  4. mechman Member

Plus 1 for Brundles.

5. premmington

premmington Member

+ 1 for Brundles.

I bought some 16mm rebar from them recently - cheaper than I could get it from the place I got the A252 mesh from.

Last year I bought some "Armco" barrier, end and posts from them.

My problem with buying metal is - I buy so little - unless you are buying it by the ton - it is never gonna be cheap :doh:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. optima21 Forum Supporter

when I was ordering some steel last week I used Brundles for a price comparion (as recommended on here) and by local supplier were slightly cheaper in total including a £15 delivery charge..... (total cost £178 inc vat and delivery) I would have collected it myself, but thought it might have been a bit dodgy putting a 7.5m length of box section on the roof rack on my car.

7. earthman Member

Have you got a engineering/fab firm near you? I've bought off cuts from mine before.

slim_boy_fat and Kent like this.
  8. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

I recently used Brundles for 7.5/6 metre lengths each of 60 x 5mm, 60 x 3mm and 25 x 3mm - total was £165 including £10 delivery charge. Thought the delivery charge was very reasonable, bearing in mind it was delivered from Glasgow to a rural location near St Andrews!

9. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Brundles is unbeatable in some material.
    It’s always worth phoning your local steel holders though they tend to be unkind to non account holders

julianthegypsy likes this.
  10. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

If you use brundles, look up what you want online, then my advice would be to call them to order.
    The Web ordering system does not give you any indication of whether it will arrive tomorrow, next week or even next month.
    Or, like my last order, arrived in 4 deliveries over the full time range.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  11. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

++1 Brundles great prices and £10 for IOW delivery ! - But as above worth checking actual stock as you might wait for one length but not 2 lengths to make it up..

Hopefuldave likes this.
  12. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

AK are eye wateringly expensive. Their website prices work out close to £2k a ton.
    But they seem to do a lot of business, I think they are quite public friendly . There is a branch just up the road from me

+1 for Brundles, good prices and I've mostly had next day delivery but that was buying in bulk. What sort of sections are you looking for ?

13. Kent

Kent Member

Your best bet is your local small to medium fabricator.
    Most are happy to supply and a couple of quid for them likely works out cheaper than your delivery. Why not ask about them cutting also

julianthegypsy likes this.
  14. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    Thanks everyone. Thats just what I was after.

I need to draw out a design, but I think a load of right angled bar and some solid round bar (thick walled tube would probably do) to build the axles and turning pin for the front axle for this project. Nothing out of the ordinary

15. Seano

Seano Member

Used them for many years both personally and during my employment, used to have all our steel stock supplied by them :thumbup:

16. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

Another plus for Brundles is they carry some fairly obscure sizes of steel section, I buy 40mm T bar from them as my main steel supplier simply cannot source T that small anymore.

17. Seano

Seano Member

Just looked at Austen's prices now compared to Brundles, have to agree that since I last used them prices have increased, but then hasn't all steel stockholders.

steviec_lj likes this.
Advertisements