Stand for bar bender

1. Mikes Member

I have a 'Miracle' type bar bender which I would like to use outside of my workshop as sometimes it is necessary to put a bend on each end of a fairly long length of steel and my workshop layout just doesn't allow room to do this. I was thinking of mounting it onto a piece of RSJ which could be either fixed into a concrete base in which case I would want to make the bender quickly removable or alternatively, have the bender fixed to the RSJ and have a socket or similar in the concrete that this could then be dropped into. My concern with this is that it needs to be a relatively snug fit to keep the assembly from being wobbly etc and the associated problems of keeping the socket rust free and useable. Just thought that I would ask for any ideas that you may have used as I expect that this is a far from uncommon problem.
    I know that the bender is a far from precision piece of equipment but am loathe to leave it outside on the end of the post with a bucket over it.

2. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Try to find two pieces of square pipe that are a close fit, sink one into concrete, weld the other end to your bender.
    Make a cap that drops into the hole when not in use. Grease could be liberally applied to prevent corrosion.

Arc Tourist likes this.
  3. Fraserb

Fraserb Forum Supporter

If we're making removable posts generally I wrap the base of post in a few layers of paper/ plastic then concrete the post in, lift post out after concretes set and when you remove the paper it gives you the clearance required without the risk of rust.

slim_boy_fat, Anguz and chunkolini like this.
  4. Mikes Member

Thanks gentlemen for your thoughts. I was thinking of trying to form a sleeve in the concrete from some stainless but for ease, I will give Fraserb's idea a go.

Advertisements