Stainless Steel Workbench

1. Tom.uk New Member

Hi all recently picked up a little mig welder for mild steel and wanting to sort a safe workspace for a vice / grinder ect.
    Thinking about a stainless steel worktop (catering one) question is would the splatter etc onto the stainless steel cause any dangerous gasses or anything I should be worried about?

2. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Spatter from mig sticks to stainless like nothing else, if you are only welding mild steel then you would be better off using a mild steel benchtop, as for fumes from spatter then no, nothing to worry about, just take the normal precautions to protect yourself from welding fumes.

mtt.tr and Parm like this.
  3. Tom.uk New Member

Ahh fair enough might have to try and find a mild steel one then, just seems harder to find one :)
    My understanding was that welding mild steel a mask wasn't really required but welding stainless steel was dangerous not to have one? Is it best to just always wear one?

Thanks

4. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

on a hobby level, I'd say it's not all that worth worrying about unless you start MIGing aluminium or stainless in a heavy way.

I'd like to know where these cheap catering benches are, though... they make quite good worktops for jobbing :D

5. As had been said no real danger from the fumes, could you not just get a mild steel top to fasten over the stainless one

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Nudge..I’ve got one for sale :scared:

Mild steel bench that is

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
Advertisements