Stainless steel mail box

1. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

This is a little project for a fellow forum member, made from a written description, so first thing is a simple sketch just to make sure, then cut some metal.

First the box body, folded up from one piece and put the seam down the back where it wont be seen
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

Then clamp it up on a piece of ally to act as a heat sink
    3.jpg

Lots of tacks to help keep it flat, then fill in by skip welding with short runs, and quench with compressed air between runs
    4.jpg

1" x 1" weldmesh base to stop it collecting water, made a bit of a frame for the mesh to keep the bottom nice and rigid, and to make the mesh easier to fit.
    5.jpg

Next the lid, marked up, and cut out using thin cutting disk, run the DA over the inside prior to bending to make it look even, did the same with the box too.
    6.jpg

Bending it up on the flypress
    7.jpg
    It fits
    7a.jpg

Corners welded and clamping a piano hinge in position
    8.jpg

Then spot weld it in place
    9.jpg

slim_boy_fat, hunter27, Jlg and 4 others like this.
  2. Paul.

Every lid needs a knob, just happened to have one left over from another job.
    10.jpg

Other side of the hinge fitted with four button head screws, nearly there, just some brackets to make.
    11.jpg

And finished, the mounting brackets are to stand it off the wall by 40mm to allow the lid to open and allow for a bit of packing / adjustment on what is apparently an uneven surface
    12.jpg

3. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Now that is pure quality right there...fab job:thumbup:

octo0072000 and Parm like this.
  4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Fab, fab job

Parm likes this.
  5. brightspark

brightspark Member

nice job just needs painting red now :whistle::laughing:

slim_boy_fat, Parm and 123hotchef like this.
  6. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I'll book you in with the mental health team

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. brightspark

brightspark Member

just to add it needs to be pillar-box red we know some folk on here are obsessed with ral :laughing:

slim_boy_fat and mtt.tr like this.
  8. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Brilliant....looks great.........will it have a lock

9. Paul.

No lock, I asked the same question, its inside a courtyard

10. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Very nice! :clapping:
    I’m assuming security isn’t an issue. :laughing:

11. That's a nice job, always impressed at how well you blend your welds on S/S , I always struggle to get the same texture.

mtt.tr and roofman like this.
  12. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

my thoughts too on everything Paul does with stainless

zx9, Parm and snowcat like this.
  13. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    :D SMINE! :laughing:

I asked Paul to make me the mail box because we are about to have triple glazing fitted , not just to replace constantly failing UPVC dg that's 30 years old but so we can then move the property into the top energy efficiency rating .
    I didn't want it made in aluminium as it gets rather damp here and it might not take to the persistent rain coming in off the Irish Sea so as for a good grade rust resisting stainless steel fabrication

Energy costs money … the older you get the less spending power you have compared to folk who work . Fuel poverty in old age is not nice ..I've seen it many times far too many times for my liking .
    Not having a hole in the front door or any other external door is one of the individual circumstances/ conditions that lead to gaining the certification & benefits of lowered costs.

It won't take long to pay for itself either , being almost 70 yrs old I can see from past events that being an energy pauper in old age is not something I want to contemplate as I'm 80% disabled ..have been disabled for nearly 40 years too & I like my warmth .

It won't have a keyed lock , it might have an pulsed electronic electromagnet on the inside that pulls 40 or so Kg so many seconds running on small rechargeable battery after the lid has been closed after being opened from empty ......operated by special device from the outside with something like a tone burst generator .

Will get my thinking cap on soon as to how it needs designing & see what I can dream up to do on my 3D printer towards its construction.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    That is bang tidy. Very neat and I’m loving the subtle taper on the knob.

One small criticism if I may, you could work on the spacing of your tack welds, some of them are almost a millimetre out...

Mr Roo likes this.
  15. Ali

Ali Member

Really nice work Paul. I’m curious about the bending tooling for your fly-press, do you happen to have a better picture, or can I find info elsewhere on the forum?

16. DAPPH

:o :waving: OI! WTF are you banging on about ? Those spacings were in the original specifications I sent to Paul . :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. DAPPH

Paul , I've received it safe & sound , it's exactly what we wanted

Thank you.
    Dave & Alison

Jim Davey, galooph and Paul. like this.
Advertisements