Stainless flux core problems.

1. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Had some spare time today to try out the Bohler E317L flux core wire I have.
    First couple of welds were nice but it went downhill fast. Not sure why and I tried everything I could think of from altering gas flows to different settings on the welder (EWM Phoenix 330) and nothing helped. Some welds would come out better than others but the vast majority of them had serious worm holes/tracks in them.
    I am thinking it may be dampness in the wire but just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts.

Some pics.

ScreenHunter_2716 May. 15 17.47.jpg ScreenHunter_2717 May. 15 17.47.jpg ScreenHunter_2718 May. 15 17.48.jpg

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Is it a self shielding wire?

3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No, gas is required, either straight CO2 or a mix with 15-25% CO2. I am using 15% mix.

4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Spec sheet here.

ScreenHunter_2719 May. 15 18.10.jpg

Richard. likes this.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

What else is in the mix?
    Stainless FCW are greatly influenced by gas.....some are better Flat with 100% CO2

But if youve had good results and they have deteriorated it has to be something going wrong......could you have a punctured hose allowing atmosphere in or like you say it could be moisture (try redrying it)

gordon stephenson likes this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Just Argon CO2 15% mix. New cylinder although I have had it a few years and just opened it today for this test.
    Only the first couple of short runs were good, the rest have been a mixed batch from terrible to almost decent.
    I maybe should have tried without the pulse, might try that tomorrow.
    I have had the wire at least a year and they are part used reels so....

7. hotponyshoes Member

Any chance the first couple of runs could have been done using the gas that was left in the hoses and the new gas is causing the problem or did you purge it first?

8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

No, the welder hasn't been hooked up to gas since I got the Phoenix 355 so must be getting on for a year.

9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Hood I know nothing about FC wire but is the spatter standard

10. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Neither do I as I only ever normally weld Aluminium with the Mig.
    Having said that I think what spatter there is there is with me trying all sorts of different settings, the vast majority of the time there was none at all.

11. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

What were the first good welds like? shows that us beginners hardly stand a chance

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

When when I say good I have no idea if they were actually good or not. They were just nice smooth beads, well fused with no spatter and no worm holes or tracks, the slag just fell off on its own . I am afraid I never took a snap of them as things were going great and then the next few welds on top of them were just a mess and by that time it was obviously too late to take a pic :D

13. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

should run nice with little or no spatter
    flux should be easily removed we used it with air product cougar gas same mix used on structural steel so nowt fancy
    you sure thats no galvy your practicing on
    either that or a gas problem
    try changing the torch too

hope you dinae weld them fancy handrails roond the harbour wi that wire
    stopped off on a wee run to there on sunday on the rocket ,
    havent been there for years and it looks gey posh like a spanish marina. last time there was just a few old laid up fishing boats
    corroding away ! was looking for a blue lighty no a red one or the skirl of a grinder but alas none aboot the fit o the toon

14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Voltage too high. Arc length too short.

Richard. likes this.
  15. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I am sure it is not galv :D It is more or less a new torch, bought it for trying out the nanofeeder so don't think it is that but you never know. Will check the gas hose etc when I get a chance, probably not tomorrow though.

Not guilty with the handrails, Dundee crowd that did them I think.

It was the synergic lines but I did try trimming the voltage both ways.

16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Edit: Just seen you are running Pulse. You'll definitely need to turn that off.

Yeah, don't run Flux core on synergic lines. There are so, so many variables with flux core, you don't need a computer trying to compensate.

8 - 10m/min
    23-25v
    20mm Stickout

If its 1.2mm wire, those settings above should get you in the ballpark of 160-220A. A 1,2mm stainless wire should start to spray transfer from 160ish amps.

Are you dragging the torch with a 15 degree pull angle?

Why 317 btw?

Richard. likes this.
  17. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Will give it a go when I next get a chance, probably won't be today.
    I am not even sure if the 330 can be put into full manual mode but will have a look, there may be a job number to do it.
    I tried dragging and pushing, first were pushing .

Why 317? because it is what I was given ;)

18. Richard.

Richard. Member

Flux cored wires are very sensitive to voltage and can very easily be the cause of your porous welds. you certainly don’t need anything like a solid wire because the current is only being carried by the outer tube. Synergic lines designed for solid wires will be way too high on voltage and pulse simply doesn’t work well at all.
    Always drag but not too drastic an angle
    Use Brad’s settings and your results should improve dramatically

19. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

The synergic lines were for flux cored, see pic below..
    The settings Brad said are actually very close to what the Phoenix is saying.
    Just home but did have 10 mins messing with it again in non pulse mode and it was just the same but I also swapped over to one of the other reels and it was a vast improvement, still not perfect but I am having feed issues with this reel as the wire basket is bashed and broken. When I get a chance I will straighten out the reel and have a proper play around with it and see.

ScreenHunter_2719 May. 16 18.42.jpg

20. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’ve run ESAB machines on synergic and it’s still not been right. Literally 1V can be the difference between worm tracks and not.

Definitely bake the wire if it’s a sheathed flux core.

Here’s the Esab instructions for baking.

• 0A1801F8-B1AA-4527-91F7-60E5E8513872.png
    indy4x likes this.
Advertisements