Stainless Cages

1. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Been making six stainless steel cages for a local company, these will be used to quarantine rejected product on a production line.

First a cutting up session, quite a few pieces of 30 x 30 angle and 30 x 30 box, and a load of stainless weldmesh to prepare,
    1.jpg

Some parts mitred using the chop saw, and then welded up into what will be the tops of the cages, its a box section frame with an inner angle frame to carry the mesh
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Then weld up the side frames,
    4.jpg

And the door frames
    5.jpg

I then used an assembled side frame in the corner clamps as a fixture to build the cages,
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg

A laser cut plate with a nut welded on makes a mounting for a single bolt fixing castor, held in place for welding here with my endplateholderonner.
    9.jpg

And the cages built and the mesh tacked in, I used the mig with stainless wire to fix the mesh, just used argoshield 5, that's why the welds are a bit sooty, but I'm not buying a bottle of tri mix just for one job, it'll clean up later
    10.jpg

stuvy, galooph, Brad93 and 6 others like this.
  2. Paul.

Doors fitted with some nice plastic hinges and after a bit of pickling paste and elbow grease treatment looking a lot better, these are a functional item not decorative so no need to go overboard, I actually made six but four made a better photo.
    11.jpg

The customer wanted one to start making some shelves for them so I delivered it in the tardis, never ceases to surprise me at what I get in the back of that car
    12.jpg

stuvy, galooph, Munkul and 10 others like this.
  3. sako243

sako243 Member

Chap who taught me to shoot had one and it was impressive how many shotguns, people and ammunition we could fit in the boot. However the number of times that we hit the bump stops... :rolleyes:

stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

A temporary support - genius!

upload_2020-5-7_19-55-34.png

James1979 likes this.
  5. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Like the endplateholderonner:thumbup: its things like that make it so much easier \ quicker

Hopefuldave likes this.
  6. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Do you size all your jobs to be a perfect fit on your bench?:whistle:

7. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I was wondering the same, or he has a load of different sized benches stored next door and just pulls out one to suit the job? :laughing:

eSCHEn, rtcosic and Seadog like this.
  8. tom2207 Member

some one was just asking about those corner clamps in the last couple of days , hope they see those pictures ,, cant remember who it was though.

looked ack , it was a guy called mike , i sent him a note , hope thats ok

nickk likes this.
  9. Paul.

Robotstar5 likes this.
  10. Agroshield Member

Please, how do you cut the weld mesh and how do you deburr each individual cut end? Any difference when you cut close to an adjacent wire or halfway along the mesh square? Thank you.

11. Paul.

The job is designed around the mesh size so that there are no wires sticking out, its cut with a thin cutting disc, and deburred with a flap disc
    Cross section.jpg

12. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    @Paul you clearly have the laying out and prep work nailed. Do you still get enjoyment out the repetitive jobs? A long time a go I worked in a production environment I used to spend the day setting myself targets.

Advertisements