Square Tube Size

1. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

I want to get a few lengths of square tubing to keep as stock in my workshop to use when knocking up things like for such a welding cart, tool trolleys etc - in other words, nothing too heavy duty. I'll probably get some 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm to start with, but what thickness of steel should I go for?

I was thinking that 1mm will be too thin and 3mm with be overkill, so obviously opting for 2mm as a 'compromise'. Would that be a good choice or am I way off base? :dontknow:

2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I would say 2mm would be fine

slim_boy_fat and Nick DV like this.
  3. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thanks Ash, I'll get some ordered :thumbup:

Ashley Burton likes this.
  4. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I would think 2 mm would be fine. I made my welding trolley out of 30 × 30 × 2 mm box section and it's thick enough to be easy to weld but fairly light. I bought some 25 mm and 20 mm at the same time, but prefer 30 mm for its slightly "chunkier" feel. With a 2 mm wall (and 30 mm side), you can also insert 25 mm box section inside the bigger stuff where you need to adjust lengths or whatever. You can't do this with a 2.5 mm wall thickness because of the weld seam.

Nick DV likes this.
  5. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thanks Al, good pointers there :thumbup:

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Old computer desks can be a source of decent stuff - I made this out of the remains of one + some angle iron from a vegetable rack ex our local butchers......:whistle:

IMG_20190625_192909.jpg

Keep an eye on Gumtree or Freecycle near you. :thumbup:

7. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thanks SBF :thumbup: Didn't give a thought to old desks - annoyingly, we dumped an office full of them just before Xmas! :doh: Good call on Gumtree and Freecycle

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Wany, stuvy, Nick DV and 1 other person like this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I have no idea what you mean.....:D

Ashley Burton and Nick DV like this.
  10. Yamhon Member

Personally, I wouldn't.

If you're buying small lengths, you're likely being charged much more than you could be, so I'd suggest waiting till you are ready to start a project and order full lengths, then you'll either have plenty left over to work with on other projects or just add an extra length to your order.

That said; I'd probably favour 3mm over 2mm, just because for some tasks 2mm can appear a little on the lighter side, whereas 3mm will seldom feel too heavy to do the job... though I'm from the 'go big or go home' camp.

EDIT to add: If you make big orders rather than lots of little ones, not only do you have the opportunity to benefit from free delivery, sometimes prices will be cheaper when you order multiples.

Dr.Al and Nick DV like this.
  11. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Know what you're saying, but I have no specific projects in mind - I tend to come up with crazy ideas on the spur of the moment - so need some stock for that moment! :artist: I'll probably get a few 4m lengths of each size - and I'll be cheeky and ask for discount :thumbup: Thanks for the pointer on using 3mm.

Yamhon likes this.
  12. Yamhon Member

On thickness, what I did was look at a tape measure to get a feel for the thickness, or even better look at some off cuts. I'd much rather 3mm for some of my projects, and can therefore upsize what doesn't strictly need it so I can have more quantity of the one size... makes some sort of logic to me anyway.

With 4m lengths I hope you'll get a decent price; just feared you'll get charged a lot more if you were buying a couple lengths of 6', etc. I've used Metal Supermarkets before, okay to small oddments, but expensive if you need more than that it seems. Most recently I used F.H Brundle and would recommend them.

Nick DV likes this.
  13. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thanks again for the reasoning behind using 3mm, it certainly makes sense. I've used Metal Supermarkets for metal before, and I found them expensive too. Brundle's are local to me too so I'll give them a shout :thumbup:

Yamhon likes this.
  14. stuvy

stuvy Member

Find a local metal fabrication shop and offer money for there biscuit tin we had a few chaps pop in and give us a few quid for either bending bits, welding thick stuff or rooting through the scrap bin

15. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Where do you work?

It’s been time since I’ve raided a skip

16. stuvy

stuvy Member

was a past tense, were I used to work we had some much waste it was terrible

it was almost like the boss was number blind

I can pm the details there in houghton Regis

Parm likes this.
  17. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

I’ve got your no, if ever I’m passing be good to have a nose

I won’t be at “work”

Ashley Burton and stuvy like this.
  18. Newlands Member

Good idea to have some stock - and for what you mention (tool trolleys, welding cart etc) then 2mm will be fine. I’ve just had a delivery of 40x3mm box for the workshop doors I’m making, and I think even they could be 2mm to be honest (though 3mm is a bit better if you need to drill and tap for fasteners).
    But the main reason for adding my 2 cents worth is to add a recommendation for Brundles - much cheaper than many suppliers, very quick delivery, and even a follow-up email to ask if I was happy with the service.

Nick DV and Dr.Al like this.
  19. R-D-R Forum Supporter

best thing i ever did was order a stock of 20x20, 30x30,40x40 box plus the same of angle and selection of round. Makes things so much more fluid when you just need to knock something up and it's all to hand. Ive found i get through things quite quickly. I found cheapest way was buying full lengths at 7.6m. Storage was a problem in the garage so i bought some soil pipe connected it together with end caps and store it all in those running down between the garage and hedge.

I Use metal hub now, they tender out to all the local steel suppliers presenting you with best prices for your quantity and then deliver for £15.

Nick DV, stuvy, Dr.Al and 1 other person like this.
  20. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thanks both :thumbup: Brundles are not far from me so easy to pick up stock, and the 7.6m lengths are so cheap by comparison! Luckily I've recently extended my garage/workshop so I can store the longer lengths ;)

Yamhon likes this.
Advertisements