Spray is the way!

1. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    OK - so I've been going to Mig welding evening classes for the last 7 weeks.
    As you'd expect I've learned loads, and practiced a lot using their welder, gas, metal, wire... all in all it seems quite good value. Throw in the tuition, and help with trickier stuff like welding up or down, not just across and I'm quite pleased.
    However, despite now being fairly competent, tonight was great.
    Pat the lecturer had set up an old Messer mig (hulking great 300amp 3 phase beast), to do a nice spray transfer, and invited us all to have a go.
    Well. Wow. It's just like spreading warm butter. SO smooth, and looks amazing
    It was effortless. In some ways it was a shame to go back to practicing my vertical welds afterward...

So, if you get a chance- get someone to setup a decent welder for you, and have a go.

It feels great

2. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

It seems like a melted tip waiting to happen after hours of dip transfer but you can’t beat a good hot bit of spray.

Glad you’re taking to it.

3. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I melted the whole end off a Mig torch when I was spraying in weld into a big hanging block roller for a boat. Got a bit carried away with how well it was going and just kept pumping the wire in until the torch went all wobbly :D

4. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Ideal opportunity to sell a bigger torch for someone then :D

Hood likes this.
  5. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes but I don't Mig steel very often so when I do I have learned just to caw canny

6. henry Kadzielski Member

^^^ Abico 455T would do a good job of that, there's a nice selection of accessories to suit it too

7. wookie Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds there is something really satisfying about Mig when you're doing spray, Tig is still my favourite though, I keep meaning to treat myself to a Tig machine but I don't really have the need for one.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. davidjohnperry a different breed

Is that pat Bessel teaching you I learnt from him at Bristol college

9. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    Rather embarrassing, I don't know his surname :ashamed:

I can describe him quite easily though - he's recently been called back in from retirement to cope with the additional welding classes they've laid on this year. He wears pebble glasses, talks VERY loudly, has spent a long time welding pressure vessels, and is the proudest I've ever known anyone be about his welding.
    He's actually got a degree in welding, and seems to know an awful lot :thumbup: He's been training at Bristol colleges for over 20 years - the Messer we were using last night was "Bought by me in 1999 for Soundwell College as 1 of 3"

A classic Bristol boy :thumbup:

10. davidjohnperry a different breed

Yeah that's him top bloke good welder got my city and guilds 2 MIG from him does he still teach evenings

11. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    Yep -he does 2 evenings a week now. I'm just completing my C&G 1 - thinking about C & G 2 starting next month.
    If we're good enough, he's even offering to throw in a 'free' BS certification, as he's a qualified examiner.
    :clapping:

Top bloke indeed.

12. davidjohnperry a different breed

Got those to MIG stick and Tig I should give him a call

13. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    Oh you definitely should - He would love it! He could add you to his repertoire - "I've still got students I taught years ago ringing me up." Brilliant!!

14. davidjohnperry a different breed

yeah he was good sadly I never got the full teaching experience from him as some how he had a few students turn up who could not weld so his time was spent more to that but... his skills and know how are second to none. ill have a look around for it its on one of my old phones. do you still teach ?

15. davidjohnperry a different breed

hey buddy gave him a ring the other day still sounds as I remember hoping to renew some codes through him sadly the slots are booked at the moment he said he would phone me at some point to arrange when the new course start.

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That never stopped anyone before. :D

Beanwood and wookie like this.
  17. Beanwood Member

bristol, England
    Spoke to him this evening- he said he's had a call from someone who needs to do codes again (you I'd imagine) - but as you know, he gets distracted easily and started to talk about getting another course sorted just after Easter, the merits of gas welding, and possibly running a TIG course, and it all moved on from there. Who knows I might meet you on the next one!

davidjohnperry likes this.
  18. davidjohnperry a different breed

Yeah maybe I'll ring him again at some point to arrange some stuf he does get distracted easily. Hopefully we will cross paths i like meeting people through the welding world

Beanwood likes this.
  19. davidjohnperry a different breed

Had a convo with him looks like I might be joining a level one stick course

20. davidjohnperry a different breed

Providing they get the numbers

Beanwood likes this.
Advertisements