Snap on turbo 130 euro torch conversion

1. Rossco_ New Member

Hi guys, first of all ace forum. Proper handy info to be had in here. I've been using one of the threads in here to convert my snap on 130 to euro torch and everything went pretty well up until the gas solenoid. I bought a kit from weld uk and they supplied me with a 48v gas solenoid.

Here's the pics of how far I got, the torch feeds fine and it does a hideous gas less weld (that's how I Sussed out the gas solenoid wasn't playing the game)

I had connected the gas solenoid to the same wires as the motor but when I check wi the voltmeter I get 10v across the wires. Not enough clearly. So I'm assuming I've wired it up wrongly.

How I wired up the solenoid
    [​IMG]

Solenoid I was supplied
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me how it should be wired up, pics would be epic. Thanks in advance

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

The motor voltage varies with wire speed anyway, so that's definitely not where to connect it.

It's difficult to suggest where to connect it without a circuit diagram, but I would be looking at the coil on the contactor or for a small transformer supplying the circuit board.

Someone who knows this machine should be along soon - hopefully.

3. Rossco_ New Member

Brilliant thanks for the initial response mate, I fear you are correct. It's just finding the correct place. From what I've read it seems a fairly common modification so hopefully someone will know

4. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
  5. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Oh and welcome BTW :hug:

6. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

7. Rossco_ New Member

Ah yeah now I did read your thread. The scotch block threw me off a bit though.

In the picture titled 'side of the PCB showing the contactor feed wires:' is that the two wires you ultimately used to switch the Gas solenoid?

8. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I added a switch so that the gas can be turned on and off and have a gas purge function too.

Basically there are two small wires in that feed 240v to the contactor to energise it.

Follow them back to the board or wherever they go to, Its been a while and I can remember without looking. Add a wire to each one (this is where the chochy block comes in I added a switchhere for the purge function). The two new wires are your 240v feed for your new solenoid. You can join the wires however you see fit. I honestly can't remember off hand, but the wires may be on small spade connectors, then you could join off of them.

9. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Ok had a look back over the old post.

The two black wires that feed the contactor and the ones you need to tap are from the common of the min/max and B3 on the board. I Think it would be better to cut the wires and tap them off with chocky block or other suitable method. then run the two new wires to the new 240v gas solenoid.

10. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

If you are passing Perth, you could pop in and i'll show you.

11. Rossco_ New Member

Ah mate you're a godsend. That makes sense to me now (I think) I'm just trying to get myself a 240v solenoid and I'll get into this

Much appreciated, I'll update one I get the right parts

12. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

You might be able to get a 240v coil.

If the firm you bought the conversion off said it was for your particular model they should swap the solenoid for you.

mike 109444 likes this.
  13. Rossco_ New Member

Cheers for all the help guys. Got is fired up tonight and I can't believe the difference it's made. Cheers for all the pointers

rtbcomp likes this.
  14. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Good on you for posting back. Nice to see you have a result :hug:
    Just remember you still have the same motor and gearbox on the machine so try where ever possible to keep the length of the torch pipe streight to make it easy for the motor to push the wire through.:clapping:

Advertisements