Snap On/Cebora 130 gas leaks

1. tbone455ci New Member

Hi, new to this great forum but can't find the awnser to my problem......

I have a Snap On 130 Turbo mig. I'm not sure if I need the gas regulator that goes on the bottle or tye gas valve that is attached to the trigger?

Haven't used the Mig for over a year, started it the other day & gas was leaking out of the bottle regulator, so I put ptfe tape on the gauge thread & the valve thread where it joins on top of the regulator. (not on the bottle thread)

This cured the leaks but now the trigger was very stiff, after a bit of welding gas started coming out of the trigger mechanism.

I took it apart & the plastic on the back of the brass gas valve assembly had come out of the block, refited & it popped of again.

I then cable tied the plastic to the brass block to test it, which sealed the leak but then the plastic gas pipe & connector blew of the regulator on the gas bottle?

Do I need the gas bottle regulator and or the complete torch neck and gas valve assembly?

Thanks for any help ;)

Sent from my HTC

2. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Hi,

The brass block has a plunger activated by the trigger. This acts as the gas valve. The problem with this design is that he end os sealed by the black plastic part, which was glues on. They do come unstuck and thus leak gas. I tried several times to fix this with different glues, but to no avail and went and did a euro torch conversion.

So you need to change the swan nech/trigger unit in the torch or get an new torch or do a euro torch conversion.

you dont mention what regulator and bottle type you have. The disposables are quite frankly rubbish and don't last long.

refillable bottles are much better, but all joints need to be sealed.

I have a tread about doing the conversion and there are several others too.

3. tbone455ci New Member

Thanks for the reply rikrobson

Everywhere ive tried has no swan neck/trigger units in stock. The regulator I have is the small standard one for the small gas bottles

One website has a alternative complete torch (looks like a Clarke torch) for £60

I would like to do the euro conversion & a proper regulator/bottle but at the moment just want to get my Mig running so I can do some weld a couple small jobs.

Would you know if the crappy regulator caused the pipe to blow of the regulator? It seems like, when I cable tied the plastic back to the brass block (gas valve) the gas had no escape & pressurised the trigger which then blew the pipe of the regulator (if that makes sense)

So basically to get me out of trouble, if I got another cheap regulator & was able to keep the plastic on the back of the gas valve, I could do my little jobs before fixing it properly?

4. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

The regulator should be faily low pressure. the gas should flow out at about 10 l/min if its at high pressure it sound like its gubbed. :( it should be a low soft hiss. if its loud and sharp then a new regulator is in order.

I had most success with evo-stik, but the brass needs to be roughed up a little and it clamped in a vice while curing. this lasted the longest but didn't seem to be a good remedy. Unfortunately it also acts as the switch hence the screw in the top and there is always pressure pushing it off. There maybe better glues to use, but brass and soft plastic don't appear to be happy bed fellows in the gluing department.

I found these on the bay:

This look to be a modded one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cebora-Po...hash=item2339ab7d65:m:m9IIlmsxjjL5nbUnVHcUJVQ

and this is the original one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cebora-Po...649040?hash=item235b6bd590:g:uMYAAOSwo6lWKQuP

Weldequip sells them, but I just checked and he's currently reporting out of stock :(

The euro conversion is not a hard job and should only be an afternoon of mild entertainment. Conversion kits are on ebay, but you need one with a gas solenoid or you need to get a separeate 240v gas solenoid if its not in the kit. this should be around 100 Euros, probably less. I'd recommend a 3m torch and the 4m ones are a little too long for the feed to cope with and you need the wire feed neck as close to the rollers as possible, otherwise it will birds nest on you.

5. tbone455ci New Member

Thanks again rikrobson & pdg

Makes sense now thinking about it :doh: that the regulator is gone, as the trigger getting pressurized & then blowing the pipe of the regulator....

Really impressed with the awnsers:) & the ebay links & all the info, real glad i found this forum....

So when i go for a euro conversion kit, i need to get a kit with a 240v gas solenoid on it, would any one have a link to a euro conversion with solenoid?

Will let you know how i get on ;)

6. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I'm out and on the phone tonight. I'll look on eBay when I get back for you.

7. tbone455ci New Member

Thanks lads, I found this kit on eBay & emailed about it & his reply is below the link, sounds like it has everything I need :)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MIG-WELDER-E...uctions-/111868711707?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

"Can supply a euro conv kiit with a mb15 3mtr torch, euro connector and
    230v gas solenoid. I can supply the kit with fitting instructions and a
    wiring diagram for your cebora 130 mig showing exactly how to wire the
    solenoid. If you buy the kit direct the kit with a
    gas hose and 3/8 nut and tail to fit a standard regulator and bottle
    would be £80.00 which includes postage."

8. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Have you sorted out a gas supplier for refillable bottles. The cheapest option is to use pub co2not mixed gas though. guinness is mixed gas BTW. These use a different connection than If it's got argon in. Then you are going to need to rent a bottle or get a hold by suppler in Eire
    The gas solenoid will be for a proper gas fitting from a proper regulator not a 4mm Hobby one but city does sound like yours is fubared

9. tbone455ci New Member

Ah ha yes, gas regulator and gas suppliers. Found a local gas supplier but not open until monday. So if I got a pub co2 bottle or fire extinguisher, can I just connect a standard regulator to them and get them filled with argon/co2 mix gas at the gas supplier's? On google it says some suppliers wont refill pub or fire extinguisher bottles.

I see some suppliers you can get bottles rent free (I would only need a 2ltr bottle) and when you return it you get a full replacement bottle.....

I got a Sip mini regulator yesterday to try from halfords, only 18 euro but when I put it on the bottle no gas. Checked the Sip regulator and there was no pin in the damn thing, took it back :mad: was hoping to finish my bit of welding and use the 2 mini gas bottles I have before doing the euro torch conversion :laughing:

10. tbone455ci New Member

Cheers Pdg and Rik, I got a good quality small regulator for the mini gas bottles at a welding and Boc gas supply shop and my little mig is now working again:laughing:

i asked about using a proper gas bottle and regulator and he said it was €22 euro per year to rent a 20 ltr bottle and €22 to refill the bottles plus adapter for my Mig to use normal size regulator.

I will upgrade to proper gas bottles soon and probably do the euro conversion at a later date, thanks again lads for all your advice:)

11. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

That seems a good price for the gas. You'll need to get a regulator for around €20 too and either a pipe to hookup the 4mm pipe to the regulator or gas solenoid if you convert it to a euro torch.

Advertisements