Snap on 130 Mig wire feed liner

1. John Blackburn New Member

Hello

I am a novice welder restoring my classic cars and new to this forum.

I have recently had all my tools stolen including my mig.

I have been given a snap-on 130 turbo mig welder. The person who gave it to me said it wasn't used much and was working when they stored it away, but it is an old unit. It looks okay and seems to be working. When I switch it on it springs into life but the wire feed has issues. It is my intention to get it working before I spend any much money on it. The reason for this is I am trying to replace my tools and as I have been given this little welder for nothing I thought I would try and get it going.

I replaced the liner with a plastic one but had a difficult job getting it in the protective sheath. I must have slightly damaged it and the wire although it does go through, there is too much friction and it gets stuck. It could also be because I bought a cheap plastic liner.

I was wondering if I could get a metal liner to fit this torch. It is the older welder with a 2m torch cable.

If one is still available where can I get it from?

Thanks
    Jack

2. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know anything about that particular welder, but the plastic liners are pretty awful, the wire bites into the plastic & will not run nicely. I can’t say whether a steel liner is available for that model, but I’m sure one for another could be modified or use curtain wire, I’ve not tried it but a lot have used it with great success, it’s exactly the same size & dirt cheap. Just don’t let the Mrs see you take it though.

3. John Blackburn New Member

Thanks, that is actually helpfull I wasn't sure about curtain wire whether or not it would fit into the push fit fittings on the torch. Its worth a try anyway.

I just want to see if this welder works and if it is worth keeping.

I just dont want to spend all my pocket money on one item at the moment.

Jack

4. johnik

johnik Member

steel liners are the way to go, some people have used curtain wire as it looks, feels, and tastes the same, maybe just the price is different.:whistle:

5. John Blackburn New Member

Thanks for your reply. I will go for the cheaper option. If the welder works ok. Then I will fix it properly.

6. eddie49 Member

Hello Jack, welcome to the Forum, and sorry about the loss of your tools.
    The Snap-on 130 is a re-badged Italian Cebora machine, and it is highly regarded.

7. John Blackburn New Member

Yes I have heard good things about them. A basic but reliable welder.Thats why I decided to try and fix it rather than rush out and buy a cheap mig. I was very gratefull when my friend offered it to me. It was just lying under a pile of parts and not been used for a long time. Hopefully it will be ok.

8. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Is the wire old as well, look for rust\dirt on surface

9. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

ive used curtain wire a few times ive got it in both my welders that ive got one ive had in there for over 2 years not used much but they work well defo for a good test but they are good for a now and again use

10. John Blackburn New Member

Thanks for reply I am going to get some today

11. John Blackburn New Member

12. John Blackburn New Member

Hello

I would like to thank everybody who commented on my post. I have followed your advice and fitted a curtain wire as a wire feed.

It worked perfectly, fitted inside the push fit fitting on my torch and only took a few minutes. I just used a bit of high temp silicone on the outside of the plastic covering. I was messing around with the cheap plastic one for ages it just would not comply and I am sure I damaged it.

The mig wire slides through effortlessly.

angellonewolf likes this.
  13. John Blackburn New Member

Advertisements