Smooth finish on 1.2mm stainless steel

1. Willthewelder New Member

Hello friends. I am producing some catering stainless table surfaces from some 1.2mm sheet stainless.
    The tables are so large that I will need to join 2 sheets. I have a mig welding and I am experienced welding thin stainless. However i have never had to make a super smooth finish like on a table surface.
    Any reccomendations?
    grinding techniques to acheive the finish ect
    Thanks

2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
  3. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    A nice neat polish line is usually acceptable. We do a 240g random finish on items like that.

Are you planning on hammering the seam once welded?

How big is the finished table out of interest? 1.2 sounds very thin for a table that's so big it wont come from one sheet....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. sjp001 Member

Will, I may get flamed for this by those more knowledgeable, but I have a fairly heavy but hand held belt sander that I have used with a coarse belt for longish runs of alu weld that needed to be flush. Makes short work compared to anything else I tried.

5. sjp001 Member

^Sorry will I meant to post this to a similar Q about aluminium welds. Don't do this on your stainless! I find it best to go carefully and really avoid marking the sheet metal as much as possible if you want a really nice stainless finish.

6. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

joining 2 sheets 1.2mm thick....the end result will resemble a model of the himalayas.......

7. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

@Paul. is the best man to comment on this. I have welded far too much .9mm and 1.2mm Stainless to know what you are trying to achieve is not easy. Even with my experience IMHO

Distortion is your biggest hurdle.

8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I've resisted commenting so far, my advice would be to find another way to make it, such as making two lift off tops with folded down flanges and butt them loose together, catering tables need to be easily accessed for cleaning, two small tops are easier to handle than one,
    1.2mm sheets are available up to 3m x 1.5m what kind of catering table is it that cant be made from a sheet that size?.

sjp001, TechnicAl and Shox Dr like this.
  9. sjp001 Member

^ Strongly agree with Paul and TechnicAl

10. Willthewelder New Member

The plan was that I
    I was going to get this 1.2mm stuff for free, hence why the dimensions were not right. I think you are right about the warping though. It could be hammered flat but it's not going to be pretty.
    The deal has fallen through in the end anyway so I dont think this will be happening.
    Thanks for all the replies

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements