Slide Hammer

1. northwest

northwest Member

So I have decided to make a slide hammer instead of borrowing one when I need it.Funny things Slide Hammers, I am constantly amazed as to how many uses they really have. I am making two, one is for a friend of mine.

I would welcome any suggestions as to which Accessories I should make for the business end, in the photograph you can see a simple nut that will house a 6mm cap screw. I am going to buy a cheap ER25 collet chuck and cut it down then thread it or weld it to a piece of bar for the pulling end too as I have plenty of ER25 collets.

For the other end, the bit that traps the fleshy part of your hand when you are not paying attention, I was going to weld a plate on similar to the one on the slide hammer Snap On sell. Again, suggestions very welcome.

The thread is M12x1.25

SH01.jpg

Kram likes this.
  2. 123hotchef Member

I have nuts with various bits welded to the end for the business end of mine depending on what job it is being used for depends on what nut gets screwed on

3. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Fit a couple of small handles to the side of the hammer, no nips :thumbup:

IMG_0543.JPG

4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

As per 8obs post. Take care, My brother - in - law lost his finger end when he was an apprentice using a slide hammer,

8ob likes this.
  5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Trouble is the focus always goes to the item your slide hammering and autopilot doesn't always remember to put the hands in the right place:laughing:

Doesn't need to be an ugly brute like mine.

[​IMG]

6. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I knurled the weight to give me somewhere to grip and make me hold it away from the nippy bit - 1/2" BSF thread on the business end and I make adaptors for other threads or to fit inside bearing races when I need 'em, very useful tool to have lurking in the Brute Force and Ignorance drawer, essential for dismantliing gearboxes and the like.

Dave H,, (the other one)

slim_boy_fat, Brad93 and 8ob like this.
  7. northwest

northwest Member

This is it, always looking at the business end. I think the spherical stop the Snap on and Facom items have is the way I will probably go. I have a couple of cannon balls, maybe use one of those as the hammer part?

This is the thing, I am making mine to do a couple of tasks and I will be making all my own attachments, the stuff that comes in a "kit" would be wasted on me.

8. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    They could just make the handle/slide longer.

500e likes this.
  9. Agroshield Member

Maybe something with a countersunk U-shaped slot in it to take a woodscrew and a similar U-slotted one for a coach screw.

Something that will take the same size (M10?) as a Mole grip adjusting screw.

10. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Wasted on me too - I made different-threaded chunks to screw on the end so I can adapt to anything I need to pull on, even if it means drilling and tapping 'em first, and a few different diameter discs that'll *just* clear the OD of bearing pockets (things like pulling them from QCGB casting whe I can't get a decent angle with hammer and bronze drift). I do like the idea of adapting to a Mole Grip though, if I'd had that I'd still have one more of my front teeth...

Dave H. (the other one)

Windy Miller and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    . ..or even fewer when the mole grip hit too . .. ;)

12. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

It was the Mole Grip slipping off the pin that got it... didn't lose it until the night after at a party :(

Dave H. (the other one)

13. tom2207 Member

holder for self tapping screws ,, cheap body repair jobs.

14. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

I've got 'L's on mine mirrored, I'll go see if I can find it...

Wow, I found it.

15948374025631497669413.jpg

15. northwest

northwest Member

I think I have come up with a really simple solution to this nipping of the hand/fingers problem. I will come back with a prototype shortly.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  16. MBB Forum Supporter

I often use a small slide hammer as a centre punch. Locate the punch on the Mark and let the weight drop. Quite accurate and no sore knuckles.

17. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

wouldn't be called a glove would it.

slim_boy_fat and Hopefuldave like this.
  18. northwest

northwest Member

No, but that could work. I was thinking maybe at the "non business end" if the hammer had a hollow end that the stop would have to physically go into, like a little tunnel if you like before the stop hits. It would be almost impossible to get any part of your hand trapped.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  19. ranchero Member

i made adaptors to pull cv joints off. driveshaft stays in gearbox no draining and refilling required

Hopefuldave likes this.
  20. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

That sounds like finger lopper-offerer to me. I can just see the apprentices pinky fingering that hole, to be guillotined off as the back stop registers.

It’s one of those tools that deserves total respect. :thumbup: Need one of these with a throbbing thumb:laughing:

Hopefuldave likes this.
Advertisements