Sip topmig turbo 195

1. Gramas

Gramas Member

Hi folk, 1st post so go easy on me!!
    Managed to get hold of the set for bargin £35 through dads mate , said keeps tripping but that's because he's trying to run it on standard 13amp plug to normal socket, not had a go with it yet but would like to know best way of improving the set to get best out of look forward to suggestions
    Cheers
    Gramas

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

This one's been done to death - have a good read through this section.

I have a 195 myself (paid £0.00 for it, which was too much) and the wire feed gives problems. Fixes range from bracing the feed mechanism to fitting dedicated feed motor power supplies and electronic speed control.

3. Gramas

Gramas Member

Yeah I'm reading through slowly at mods but don't think I know enough to attempt! May have to get company to do perhaps

Also I'd be occasionally running the set off my portable generator. Which has a 6kva output so should be fine?

4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Welcome!

Here's a list of the mods that I've done;

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...g-150-actually-rather-good.48253/#post-539243

and

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/wire-feed-psu-mod-wire-speed-wont-increment.50132/

Good luck!

Re the power, yes a decent 13A supply should see you up to around 150A but not beyond that.
    For the generator I think you just have to try it. Bear in mind that you can't use a MIG welder outdoors (because the shielding gas gets blown away) so if you want to do much outdoor welding you'd be better looking for a 2nd hand 20 year old arc (MMA) welder.

5. Gramas

Gramas Member

Yeah reason for generator is that my garage don't have power, called company up to do mods as I ain't comfortable doing them , anybody near me capable???

6. StewEdwards New Member

First post here.

An old thread but we have had a TopMig 195 for 18 years and used it on the farm for fixing/fabricating, even built a cantilever gate with it.

It has worked reasonably well, our max thickness was about 6mm, the wire feed is certainly not the greatest as I see you all agree. we should get a decent one now but this welder just keeps on going and does what we ask of it. I do look forward to trying a decent one though.

Very interested in the posts about the upgrades to this welder and might have a fiddle in due course but thought I would post one of our mods that certainly helped our wire feed issues.

We found that as the wire feed tray is hard plastic it was too flimsy and the torch tube sagged as it exited the cabinet and consequently distorted the wire routing through the rollers.

Baler twine was the original fix and that worked fine but we now have a more workmanlike arrangement with some pipe clips from Screwfix and some M10 studding.

I have 9 more sets of clips if anyone wants a set, had to buy packs of 10.

Kind regards and look forward to learning lots more on this site.

Stew

IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0354.JPG

skotl and 123hotchef like this.
  7. 123hotchef Member

nice mod it all helps I too had one a few years back

Advertisements