SIP Migmate 150

1. Elecmuso New Member

I've been keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand MIG to get me started at a hobbyist level (mostly sculptura stuff), and thought I had found something today as the price seemed good and it came with a gas cylinder. But after having a look at a few threads around here it seems they are not very well regarded Are they really that bad and is this not such a good deal after all?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1192028812

BTW, I'm in Australia and that price is aussie dollars.
    Cheers

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum.

I would not say they are bad, they however tended to be not as good as many other makes.

The wire rollers had a fair bit of flex and some owners complained of a lack of smoothness and consistancy in the weld, often this can be sorted with a bit of effort and there is a thread on the forum of an owner who made some simple modifications and ended up with a decent machine.

Pricewise is hard to judge, we over here tend not to know what is cheap or what is expensive in the world of machines in Australia.

I think the answer is if you want to consider the machine go and see it and make sure the owner shows you it working and producing a decent looking weld, if it can do that then it will probably be fine for your use as long as you are not going to be making sculptures of heavy steel.

3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

What Steve said. I started with a (slightly different model of) SIP Migmate 150 and it was fine for getting some practise in, plus I learned a lot about how welders work by modifying it!
    Some are very easy to do (like the wire roller brace that Steve mentioned) and some need a bit more electrical knowledge (like the dedicated wire speed transformer). But a new liner ($15) and a brace on the wire feed ($0) should help immensely.

For AU$150 / £85 (and she says "negotiable") and with the gas and wire that it comes with, I think it's a perfectly reasonable way to get started. And there's plenty help available here if you get stuck :D

Oh, and welcome to the forum :waving:

Parm likes this.
  4. Elecmuso New Member

Thanks fellas

I noted that this model was a transformer whereas (I assume) most of the newer cheapies are inverter based. I've tried to see what the advantages / disadvantages are via a few youtube videos but I'm still unsure.

Are there decent Chinese inverter based migs worth considering?

5. cumbriasteve

I would steer clear of the cheap strange name branded Chinese stuff, sometimes you can be lucky and it will be fine but a lot fail, the suppliers also have a habit of closing down and opening up under another name which ruins any warranty.

I use a transformer MIG, nothing at all wrong with that and will probably survive longer than an inverter, especially if it got rough treatment or the storage conditions were not ideal.

The inverters tend to be a bit smaller and lighter but by the time you have your wire installed and a bottle connected it makes little difference.

Inverters make a world of difference when it is an arc welding set.

6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Mine was a transformer, too, and that was never a cause for concern. There's a reason why these 30 and 40 year old welders are still working!

TBH, at that price for a MIG and all the accessories, I think it's a reasonable route to go. If you wanted to do arc instead then a $175 Chinese inverter set off Amazon or ebay would do it.

7. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Don't factor in the gas cylinder when deciding if it's worth what they are asking, the cylinder is disposable and you only get around 10 minutes solid weld time from one, they are an expensive way to weld

Parm and skotl like this.
  8. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Good point.

Looks like a PD, though, rather than a disposable?

upload_2018-8-10_14-14-8.png

upload_2018-8-10_14-14-35.png

Edit: looking again, I'm not sure - maybe it is a disposable... either way, it could have 6 grammes of air in it for all we know :D

9. cumbriasteve

Yeah I never bothered working it into the equiv UK price (Skotl is more international than me :laughing:) for that price I would also go for it as long as it's working, £85 for something that will get you going is not a lot of money.

Be cheeky and offer her Aus$100, nothing to lose and he who dares etc :thumbup:

the snooper and skotl like this.
  10. the snooper

Due to size of cylinder against welder and the tiny regulator I'd still go for disposable :D

skotl likes this.
  11. Elecmuso New Member

I thought the bottle wasn't a disposable one and have asked for some detail. That was what originally sparked my interest. What do you make of te regulator - can you tell much from it?

What's a PD?

12. cumbriasteve

Yeah...it's useless without a flow gauge, something you really do need for getting things right.

13. the snooper

I've found most of those regs to be pre set, just op n valve and off you go for 10 minutes if you're lucky

14. Elecmuso New Member

15. cumbriasteve

It will stick them together after you remove the dirt and rust, in all honesty though if that is the sort of work you are planning I would be buying an inverter MMA set or even a cheap old transformer arc set often called a buzzbox.

We can get buzz boxes over here for as little as £20 for a good secondhand one and they work fine, takes a bit of practice striking the rod but I used one for many years and it earned me a lot of money over the years.

An arc set will weld dirtier steel (clean is always best though), not affected as much by drafts, needs no gas/regulators/liners/tips or shrouds, just a box of rods and away you go.

A mig comes into it's own for speed and thin metals plus less clean up after welding.

skotl likes this.
  16. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

We're a very approachable bunch :D

Advertisements