SIP 130 wire feed wheel not turning.

1. AJ16 New Member

Hi all, Im new here.
    I haven’t used my SIP 130 Turbo for a long time and find now that the wire feed wheel is not rotating. I can see there is a 24V windscreen wiper type motor inside. Is it likely to be that as I’ve read that these machines are prone to wire feed problems?
    Thanks

2. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    It is unlikely that it is the motor that has failed and more likely the circuit that drives it. If you have a mulitmeter then set it to DC volts and meter across the two terminals of the motor whilst pulling trigger (you might need a second pair of hands!). You will most probable find there is little or no voltage being feed to the motor. You will need to post a pic of the pcb from the machine as SIP changed there machines quite a bit over the years.
    Cause of no voltage to motor could be the small transformer on the pcb IF it has one.
    And welcome BTW :hug:

AJ16 likes this.
  3. AJ16 New Member

Great, I'll check it tomorrow or Friday and report back. I went on the SIP website and could see that the PCBs for this one are obsolete but they do have the main transformer, wire feed motor and choke.

4. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Possibly a stuck relay on the board they are usually a clear or tranclucent blue plastic "lego brick"

Other thing id had on a cebora was the bearing that the wire runs on had rusted and siezed, i take it youve tested it with no pressure on the wire feed

5. AJ16 New Member

I just opened up the casing of my SIP 130 and have attached a couple of photos of the board behind the wire speed control knob. Is this the PCB board?

• A798883E-CB3A-4C17-834F-4F6C06FD9EED.jpeg
    • 6FFD9D4D-7B0D-4E1A-92A9-F2EED1D7C647.jpeg
  6. AJ16 New Member

Ok I pulled the connections off that board then pushed them back on again, I put things back together again and the feed spindle now turns. Tomorrow I will see if it works, great if it does as it’s 26 years ago since I used it on a car restoration project and I’m looking forward to getting back into things! I took a short video but I don’t think they can be uploaded here.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Result ! :clapping:
    Does look like damp has been at that pcb!
    You might want to make sure machine has a good cover over it when you next put it away for 20 plus years :whistle:.....

AJ16 likes this.
  8. AJ16 New Member

Ha, it has been in my garage for all that time but not heated.
    It’s working now although I had to unwind a lot of the reel yesterday as there were some rusty patches on it that were making the wire feed jerky. I’ll have another go tomorrow. One thing I did find was that I couldn’t get a weld started so I need to figure out what setting to use as there is a Range 1 Range / switch the low medium and high settings. I’ve attached a photo of the font. I’ll be welding 2mm steel.

• 5B298EB4-4A2F-492B-8283-82FBE5A50002.jpeg
  9. AJ16 New Member

I meant to write Range 1 & Range 2 Re the switch (see photo)

10. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    The easiest way to find the steps from lowest to highest would be to connect a meter (set to DC volts) between the work ground clamp and the welding torch tip (wire feed rollers flipped off) then pull trigger and note the voltage reading (should be somewhere between 14 to 30 (ish) Volts, then work your way through the combinations and you should end up with a voltage chart for your machine going form the lowest to the highest.

Johnboy83 and AJ16 like this.
  11. eddie49 Member

I'm not sure that the range buttons can be set in combination, I think only one of the three will stay in at once?
    If that's true, then the machine has just three settings from 35 to 130 Amps, so for 2mm steel I'd advise "MED".

[ The contacts and springs on those power buttons do have a tendency to burn and corrode, leading to intermittent failure. They can usually be fixed by operating the buttons repeatedly.]

12. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    The way I read the front panel is Range on 1 Then select Low,Med or High. Then the next steps up would be Range on 2 Then Low,Med or High giving 6 stages in total I would have thought.

eddie49 and AJ16 like this.
  13. AJ16 New Member

14. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Think SIP tried most combinations of box shapes sizes and switch types !

• 120 front 1.JPG
    • 120 more fronts 1.JPG
    • 75985-202ae4a0685f226009374a90672797e6.jpg
    • 120 outside 2.JPG
Advertisements