Simple and Effective Garage/ Workshop Lighting Upgrade

1. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
    Coming into the darker autumn/winter nights I have finally got round to upgrading the lighting in my garage workshop. These LEDs were so simple to install, I wish I had done this ages ago. What garage upgrades have you made to make your life easier?

Parm, RWD3M, ronan and 5 others like this.
  2. Ruffian Member

Can you put a link up to where you got them please?

I've been looking into changing mone for led strips or panels and struggling to decide which ones would be better for my application.

3. bourbon Member

The greatest Garage/workshop upgrade was...……...TIDYING the bloody place up!!! I can now put my hand on most stuff straight away, rather than spending ages finding what I wanted to even start a job. I use my garage as a way of destressing and that was not helping.

jerrytug, mtt.tr, ronan and 4 others like this.
  4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Have been thinking the same - the front 1/3 of my garage is taken up by various boxes, sawhorses, dirty great tablesaw, etc. that I always need to carry out of the way.
    I'm thinking a combination of a massive clearout and some cabinets on chunky wheels that I can put the saws on and wheel out when needed.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

...putting in a lot more power sockets.

123hotchef, Parm, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  6. kcchan Member

I can see they are LAP ones, I know you can get LAP lights from Screwfix. I got some for the loft recently and they do chuck out a decent amount of light.

7. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

I concur. My problem is I keep buying more machines and various tooling. Well overdue another good sort out

ukracer and Parm like this.
  8. bourbon Member

That is a problem, Buying more tools, then trying to find somewhere to put them. Trouble is, I tend to 'flit' between woodwork, welding, casting, canvas work, electronic/electrical and anything people want me to fix. I only have a single garage and It's still full!

Parm, ronan and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

I'm a carpenter/builder/tiler/landscaper with a garage full of engineering machines. Garage and 8' x 16' shed are rammed and the lockups not much better. Problem is I need most of it.

Ruffian likes this.
  10. bourbon Member

I'm not that bad I only have 4 sheds as well, (not large) Did I say I also have lots of Medieval re-enactment gear as well to find a home for

Parm, Ruffian and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  11. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin

Good job, might save you a few bob on leccy into the bargain. Love the wooden landy too !

12. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

I bought a pack of 10 5’ tubes and some end fittings which meant I could replace all my original fluorescent tubes and make up new battens using 2” x 1”. Cheap and effective.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  13. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-4ft-led-batten-white-43w-4400lm/6481v

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-5ft-led-batten-white-60w-5600lm/7223v

many are buying these though good and bright can even see a good way underneath the car wheel arch

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T8-LED-I...var=571341233364&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/workshop-build.83872/page-6

14. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I think most of us claim that :scared: :laughing:

Parm likes this.
  16. eLuSiVeMiTe

Mine earns my living for the most.
    The garage is my hobby mostly. Lock up and shed are all work related.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. MysterG

MysterG Member

I have 6 LED panels in the shed which I bought many months ago to upgrade the 4 fluorescent tubes in my garage. I really should get on with it.
    And I did a test patch of white paint on the walls months ago too with a view to painting them all, again I got no further.
    Perhaps I should bite the bullet at the next good weather opportunity we have as there will be fewer of them now and I have to empty the garage (or at least half of it) onto the drive to do the work!!

18. postie jon Member

better lighting means you can see all the craps you dont actually need....:scared:

RWD3M, bourbon, Parm and 1 other person like this.
  19. RWD3M Member

I went LED when I built my new workshop a couple of years ago and really glad I did. They use about half the power of traditional flourescent's but don't take 10 minutes to warm up! :laughing:

I've got 24 x 1500mm striplights and with them all on I need my welding mask on!

They were a bit pricey but I think worth it overall.

20. qwakers Member

i on the other hand went as cheap as poss and went standard fluorescent a few years ago. i have had 2 bulb failures and 2 ballast failures (different length lights too so i cant even stick the good bulbs in the lights with good ballasts)

im regretting not going led now....

Advertisements