Siegen Mig 180 Wire feed issues

1. Tony R New Member

Hello,

My welder was working fine but have not used it for a couple of years. Now the wire feed motor is moving very, very slow. It speeds up a little when I turn up the wire speed knob. I put 12v onto the motor and it works fine. I took the gearing apart and all is fine. There is current to the welding wire and the gas is working fine. Relays click when you pull the trigger so it appears everything is in order apart from the motor speed, and when I say it is slow, boy is it slow! You can barely see it move. I'm assuming I need a new PCB? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Tony.

2. Turbo Member

Try it with the wire feed clamp wheel open. If the motor runs properly your liner is blocked or rusty. Has the wire roll been in it for the 2 yrs, it could be rusty!

3. Tony R New Member

That is a good call so I just tried that and it is the same. The wire speed knob does appear to be working as it changes the very slow speed a little. I read on here that some motors have a 24v feed so that is why I'm assuming it is the PCB...??

Thank you for your reply mate.

4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

5. eddie49 Member

Some machines use a small 24v transformer to supply power for the wirefeed motor, contactor coil, and gas valve. You could check the voltage across the motor, and the gas valve. Others tap off the welding output power, which allows the wire speed to automatically rise at higher power settings. Does the motor speed up if you turn up the welder power range switch?

6. Turbo Member

The pcb on mine had the 24v transformer built into the board. The one on mine died so I remote mounted a larger transformer on the chassis & ran wires into the terminals on the pcb.

7. Tony R New Member

Gents,
    Thanks for all your comments on this. I took the plunge and bought a new PCB and the motor is now working fine. I'll set the Mig up properly tomorrow and off we go again.
    Cheers.

Turbo likes this.
Advertisements