Should I be worried?

1. Rallychopper Member

Ireland
    I am soooooo close, watching the DHL site way too often. I'm hoping for delivery very very soon.

Will post a pic when I get the chance.

So the answer to "Should I be worried?" is - No. :)

Hope they don't drop it ;)

2. Weldinator

Weldinator Astalavista baby....

Coventry.
    Great machine, enjoy using it ;)

3. Rallychopper Member

Ireland
    So, it arrived today, nicely packed.

Here's me unboxing, just need to make up a spacer for my 5kg reel and I am ready to go :D

Thanks a bunch Weldequip / Steve !

• IMAG0516.jpg
    • IMAG0518.jpg
    • IMAG0521.jpg
  4. Norm Member

nice, bet it's like christmas mornin in your house, even the dog can't wait for you to start using it :laughing:

5. Rallychopper Member

Ireland
    The irony of it is, that I have been "knawing at the bit" to get my Portamig and have had to spend my waking hours since it arrived diagnosing faults with OBDII/ELM on 2 family cars.

Both fixed (dodgy wiring as usual) but no fun with my new baby :(

I like fixing up classics, these modern ECU driven cars are like fixing someones computer...

6. Dasky New Member

UK, Norfolk
    I know the feeling I've been trying to fix a beamer - it's pretty much all computer. Got it sorted, well after a week or so. The weather hasn't been on my side.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread while waiting for my Portamig 185 it's been just over 5 weeks now since I ordered. You're around 40 orders before me so I'm hoping it's got to be fairly soon. (fingers crossed :dontknow:)

7. Rallychopper Member

Ireland
    Dasky, I hope your Portamig arrives soon. I spent a couple of hours today experimenting on scrap.

It is amazing how low I can get the volts/wire speed on thin metal and still not blow holes. The wire feed is so damn good (I am coming from a SIP so it is not a surprise).

I love this welder, I have gone from crap welds to such fine control that I am almost wetting myself in anticipation of my next session :D

8. Dasky New Member

UK, Norfolk
    Looks like it should hopefully be arriving this Friday (no tracking number yet) :) I'm going to be crossing my fingers all day.

9. mirafioriman Member

Carlisle UK
    I'm in the queue too. Only ordered mine last week though.

I also currently have an SIP machine so I'm looking forward to an improved welding experience.

Don't know what my order number is from memory :ashamed:

10. MrSteve New Member

UK
    Mine's coming on Friday- it's been a long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'd better get my finger out and sort out some gas, wire and a helmet so I can use it this weekend.

11. Dasky New Member

UK, Norfolk
    Quick update, I received the Portamig on Friday all seems to be going well had a little bit of a learning curve as I've not welded anything before but everything seems to be going smoothly. The importance of a good ground is amazing, even a slightly iffy ground causes issue.

I was a little concerned when I first open the box, I found a tiny blue capacitor lying in the bottom. I crossed my fingers and hoped it wasn't from the Portamig. It appears it wasn't, I'll probably give the PCB a quick check over when I get a chance.

Unfortunately I did have one minor issue, one of my wheels was missing the middle bearing hub so I have one wonky wheel. I've spoke to Steve at Weldequip he reckons I should have a new wheel early this week :clapping:.

I have to say Steve has been extremely helpful with everything, highly recommend buying from him.

12. Dasky New Member

UK, Norfolk
    Quick update, received my replacement wheel within 2 days well impressed. :)

13. mrtee metal bodger

well had my fone call off steve at welequipe last thursday, should have my 235 on monday, picked up a full size argon mix bottle yesterday (friday) for £80, no contract, cant wait

14. visor_down

visor_down Member

South East
    Sorry to go OT but can i ask where you got your gas?

15. mrtee metal bodger

hi visor_down, no problem here's there address
    Compound 1, The Enterprise Centre
    Mill Lane,
    Copull
    PR7 5BW

Tel - 01257 795 700
    there web site is
    www.chorleybottlegas.co.uk
    best to call in and speak to the lads in the yard if you can, if not speak to mark on 07889 795719 about having one delivered.
    mine was filled to 200 bar
    hope this helps you

16. mirafioriman Member

Carlisle UK
    Just had an email from Weldequip today. My Portamig 185 is now built and ready for dispatch. 1 day short of 7 weeks (if anyone wants to know my wait time). Delivery booked for Friday so I can play with it at the weekend :)

Will do a post on it when it arrives with my first impressions etc :)

17. mirafioriman Member

Carlisle UK
    Well it arrived today along with a Parweld 3m euro torch and a Wescol regulator. Haven't had chance to get it unpacked or set up yet but will do soon.

18. mirafioriman Member

Carlisle UK
    It's now out the box :)

Well packed and no signs of damage when it came out the box. The wheels etc were inside the machine. Although it looks pretty straightforward to assemble there is nothing in the instructions about assembly which is one possible area for improvement.

Looking at the earth clamp it doesn't look as meaty as the one I bought from BOC for my old MIG so I might swap these and use the one I bought on the Portamig.

I'm off to get a roll of 0.6mm wire and some spare shrouds and tips for the Parweld euro torch in the morning to complete the package.

19. Angelpopov New Member

Hi I am looking for your help lads .!!
    I have purchased a mig welder from Weldequip over the weekend , in order conformation says that I can ring them and arrange a day for delivery, so I did ring weldequip , but nobody answers the phone i rang the next day and no answer again I drop an email same result nobody wrote me back .
    I get a bit worried as I paid £600!!! And nobody answers the phone . If I ask for your help if anyone got Steave mobile number or can get in touch with him please let me know

20. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Don't panic, it will be fine, it always is.
    Probably not a good idea to post your mobile number on a public forum, I'll remove it for you.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements