Shogun Sport 2.5TD Fix and Buggify

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Following on from my thread about choosing a donor for a strip and buggy frame for a possible business https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...disco-vitara-frontera-for-kit-business.92119/ . I acquired a tidy Shogun 2.5TD Spares/Repairs diagnosed with a blown head gasket - it also has a flashing 2DW/4WD transmission light but not going to worry about that for the moment as that might be because it sat around for a bit.

Paj.jpg

Finally got it up the drive today to take a look at.
    Even at idle after a 2 minute drive it was blowing lots of big bubbles into the expansion tank and the rad was pressurised.
    So either a) Head gasket (or worst case cracked head) or b) EGR Cooler - it has a shiny new rad and receipt for a thermostat so I am assuming that a blocked rad caused the overheat in the first place.

Easy thing's first, off to the plumbing box to bypass the EGR cooler...

2019-07-27 16.59.23.jpg

Alas not :( the problem, so off with it's head (to be continued..)

Ruffian likes this.
  2. mr haynes Member

Infamous for carp heads

stuvy likes this.
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

Didn’t I say they do heads...

4. Wightsparks

5. mr haynes Member

99.99% of original heads are scrap. I wouldn't waste money getting it checked, just get new, either bare or built, whichever floats your proverbial

premmington and stuvy like this.
  6. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

This is the Surf's head in 2012 when I redid it, every cylinder was the same with a crack between the valves and lots of small ones in the pre combustion chambers. It still ran perfectly but puffed a bit of white smoke on start up.
    The new head wasn't as cheap as those Milners ones though but it is still going strong now.
    IMAG0445.jpg IMAG0443.jpg

Wightsparks and stuvy like this.
  7. Wightsparks

Yep that's what I read - but that tends to be skewed by the bad news factor.

At £40 for a test vs £240 +consumables for new I think a test is worth it - I will of course test for flatness (0.05 - 0.2mm) and go over it with a magnifying glass first - if it is like @dobbslc 's one then that will save me a test!

I am expecting an obvious big hole in the gasket, judging by the amount of gas blowing out of the rad - it was over pressurised (0.9Bar) within a minute of starting. These heads can be skimmed - I believe the 2.8s can't be.

Any tips on locking the timing belt - I have the workshop manual to go through - but I expect it will just refer to "use special tool no. 123456"

8. stuvy

stuvy Member

The 2.5’s were always sent away for skimming

9. Ruffian Member

The 2.5 and 2.8 engines iirc are just marked on the pulleys for the timing belts. No major locking tools needed.

Just remember which way the springs go on the tensioners. (Photos are your friend)
    And take your time if it's the same l200 engine. (Far too many head bolts)

10. wyn

wyn Member

Chain on a 2.8 but the pulleys are marked with corresponding bits on the engine.

11. Ruffian Member

Learn something new every day.
    I always thought the
    2.5 shogun was then bored to the 2.8 so similar engine kinda thing.
    Then was a derived engine for the l200 2.5 engine. (Twin cam not single)
    Always thought they all were belted.

12. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

The 2.8 is a gem of an engine, its capacity was increased to 3.1 for the later shoguns. The 2.5 is also a good engine but wont take a cooking, if the rad which is marginal is not up to scratch and renewed every few years as a matter of course or there has been a leak gone unnoticed its game over. Keep the cooling system tip top and you will have no trouble at all.

Bob

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Wightsparks

Thanks all. i checked out the workshop manual last night and you are right everything is marked on the pulley and laid out, the instructions are simple and to the point. Only bit to watch out for is the tightening order of the tensioner bolts.
    Clear instructions, makes you feel like you could do it in a muddy field ...

Screenshot from 2019-07-28 10-26-02.jpg

Oh and yea, 18 bolts...

Ruffian and stuvy like this.
  14. wyn

wyn Member

Some people don't bother putting the balancer belts back on run them without.
    I think that's because if the balancer belt goes it takes the timing belt with it.

123hotchef likes this.
  15. Wightsparks

quick question - The manual says before removing head to follow the timing belt removal chapter - but as I am not replacing the belt do I actually need to remove it? Looking at it I can set it to TDC, wire tie the belt to the cam sprocket, pull the cam sprocket off then remove everything else - I am assuming the sproket is keyed to the camshaft!. Am I missing something ?

2019-07-28 14.57.24.jpg

16. Ruffian Member

For ease I would still just pull the belt off as for the price of a belt (gates belt only for my VW was £12) it's not worth the risk.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  17. Wightsparks

Not worried about the cost of a belt -though the one that's on there is only half way through it's design life and looks fine.
    More about not having to pull the crank pulley off - sure I could make a "special tool" to hold it but it does not seem necessary.

18. arther dailey Member

Is that the same on the 2.5 did engine? whats the for and against argument? I would presume they have balance shafts for a reason to start with

19. wyn

wyn Member

I'm not sure if if it was the same on the 2.5 did.
    I read about this when i had a shogun sport and was messing about with heads and belts.
    I put it back on with my engine.

20. Wightsparks

Crank pulley turned out to be easy, just stuck it in gear and had a glamorous assistant stand on the brakes.
    Quite a few hours later - well I only had to remove the intercooler, radiator, wiring loom, timing belt, egr cooler, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and turbo, umpteen vac lines, water lines ...
    Unfortunately because it was parked on our very sloped drive all the water did not drain out of the block (and yes it was water, no sign of much coolant!) so when the head came off it was a bit of a mess. Anyway all off now will break out the straight edge and magnifying glass tomorrow.
    2019-07-29 19.23.32.jpg

Advertisements