Self Darkening Helmet Batteries

1. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi Guys

I only do some occasional hobby Welding but how often should I change the Batteries on my Self Darkening Helmet

How would I know when the Batteries need changing?

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

it will either flicker on the helmet or it wont go dark on the helmet thats when it needs to be changed with batteries

ive welded with failed batterys but was bright to look at not a good situation the ive replaced the battery and helmet worked again

Arcangel likes this.
  3. johnik

johnik Member

funny you should mention that, i got some batteries for mine, tried to solder them in and gave up after a couple of attempts, i ordered a new cassette ?, the new one has changable batteries with a low voltage test button, other than that, change them when it dont work anymore.

Arcangel likes this.
  4. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    On some auto-darkening helmets, the battery is rechargeable, via solar cells in the front of the unit. If there are solar cells present, and the helmet darkening is starting to become unreliable, try leaving the helmet's solar panel facing direct sunlight for a few hours.

Having said that, the ESAB website says: "There is a widespread misconception that the solar power recharges the batteries; that's not true. Rather, after the battery provides the power for the ADF to darken, then solar power provides a supplemental power stream to the keep the ADF darkened. This allows the helmet's control circuitry to rely predominantly on solar power, minimise the battery drain and extend battery life".

5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Many of the replaceable battery types have a low battery indicator led.
    If not just keep spare batteries and change it if it stops working.

hunter27 and Arcangel like this.
  6. Wallace

Wallace Member

Lucky that you can access the batteries to change them, Optrel chose to seal them in potting compound inside the cassette casing. I have managed to open up two cassettes and add an external battery case on each one after dismantling a faulty unit.

7. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi Guys

Many Thanks to all who replied, the Helmet seems to be working ok but I wondered if the darkening speed starts to decrease if the batteries run down or just suddenly stops going dark altogether

8. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

flickkers when welding i belive

Arcangel likes this.
  9. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    Ones that I've had (including an Esab) the first symptom was that they wouldn't go dark for a few seconds on the first strike of an arc when they had been sat for a few days. I've never had a mask that had replaceable batteries. In every case leaving the mask face up on the windowsill when not in use made it work properly again for a few weeks which gave me time to be shopping for a replacement mask or cassette.

10. fizzy Member

uk
    I thought mine was knackered but left it in the sun for a few days and it is fine.
    I always keep it in the light now.

11. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    In my experience that's the warning sign to start shopping - how long has it been working like that? Some of mine (the Esab for sure) soldiered on for some months when left face up on the windowsill when not in use but eventually even that wasn't enough.

12. fizzy Member

uk
    It was about 1 year ago. Been fine ever since. Expensive Optrel don't want to replace it just yet.

13. pjk Member

14. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

seams to cheep as its your eyes its protecting

im not saying cheap is not fair quality but you do get wht you pay for most of the time

Advertisements