Secondhand portamig 235?

1. Mikaebc New Member

Hi sorry to be a pain but need some sort of reassurance before parting with the cash lol I have the opportunity to purchase a portamig 235 with regulator and a bottle for roughly £300 is this a good buy for a working machine of this brand and year also the seller has said he has only used it for a larger job his mig couldn’t do and used it for a week faultlessly and the person before him had it years prior running perfectly. Now do I take this machine or go for the sealy I was offered or do I hold out and get a new machine? I have had first hand use on Clarke 270 my friend has but not looking go that high in price tbh I could possibly push the budget for the right Machine at moment will used for just body work and mess about with but of tubing and so on but will be looking make jigs and also framing and possibly fencing and gates later on down the line. Thanks very much in advance

2. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Have you seen the unit pics/working or is it on hearsay?

Mikaebc likes this.
  3. Mikaebc New Member

Hi thank you for replying

I have seen a picture and it seems is in good condition has the touch with it some wire has told me I can see it working order and perform a weld test also is says there is a good amount of gas left I’m happy to buy it if it’s worth the value and if something went wrong in 6 months or a year are parts obtainable it would it be a redundant machine?

4. james butler

james butler Member

i have the smaller version and its been fantastic and i paid closer to £600 for mine albeit new

Mikaebc likes this.
  5. Mikaebc New Member

Hi James thanks for the reply how long have you had yours now if u don’t mind me asking?

6. MK1 RS Bruce New Member

They seem to have a good reputation for being a good quality machine and also very reliable. The company who makes them TEC ARC claim to provide support for upto 20 years so in terms of spare parts I think you would be fine. I have also read that the electronics they do have in them are very simple.

have a look at what the modern equivalent costs and decide from there if you think its good value. I have only found one negative review for Portamigs the rest have all been very positive and there are 100s of positives to be found using google.

I am in the market for one at the moment too albeit a bigger model

Mikaebc likes this.
  7. eddie49 Member

The asking price for a machine with that power, ruggedness, reliability and reputation, plus a torch and a regulator, is fair, very fair.
    Regarding the gas bottle, do you know whether it is CO2 ( "pub gas" ) or Argon Mix? If the latter, you need to be aware that ownership and hence possibility for a refill needs to be clarified. For example, if the bottle is marked "Property of xxxx - such as BOC - then it's actually on someone else's rental contract.

Sean and stuvy like this.
  8. tom2207 Member

if its working its a great price ,, as mentioned the gas bottle may be of little use once its empty BOC did a huge claw back on old bottles and its certainly changed the value of a gas bottle.

9. Mikaebc New Member

Thank you for the reply The guy msged me back sayin he had now changed his mind so if I don’t find an alternative It may well be a new machine I go for now as I know from looking previously that decent secondhand machines don’t pop up for sale all the time Especially locally little bit gutted tbh as seemed from reviews on here and such to be a good machine providing it had welded ok ‍♂️

10. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

A portamig/ oxford/ tecarc are basically the same machine, all made as said in york by Techinal Arc. They are an industrial quality machine, streets ahead of sealy or machine mart.

11. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I had an issue with my motherboard after a few years, took it out and sent it back and they fixed it in no time. I use it for automotive welding mainly so a lot of short stop start stuff. Nice welder, UK made, basic inside so electrics easily fixed. If in good condition it is a very good welder for that price.

Mikaebc likes this.
  12. tom2207 Member

the made in york is stretching it ,,, assembled in york may be closer , but that aside I bought one , in Oxford guise and have found it to be a spectacular machine for the price , wouldnt like to lug it from site to site , but for workshop use I would recommend them to any one , in fact I often do.

steve t likes this.
  13. Mikaebc New Member

Nice one will keep me eye out then for another one possibly see what deals are on offer on new machines of the above as well.

cheers guys

14. eddie49 Member

You might want to try giving Tec Arc a call and ask if they've got any "shop soiled" or ex-demo machines.

15. tom 748

tom 748 Member

ive had the oxford 240-1 for 6 years,only for workshop,great machines,bit heavy for lugging around,weld every thing with it

steve t likes this.
  16. steve t Member

Ireland
    Think my next machine will be a big oxford

mechman likes this.
  17. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

In my experience single phase Portamig 235's don't even make decent doorstops.

I purchased a new one that was delivered 53 days late, was of the incorrect spec, was actually destined for someone else: the name and address of the original customer had been crossed out on the label and mine added, and then it caught fire the first time I used it.

18. MK1 RS Bruce New Member

Yours was the one bad review out of the 100s of positives

19. Mikaebc New Member

Well judging by the reply responses it seems I wouldn’t do to bad if I opt to chose a oxford, tec arc or portamig is there any particular model that is better or pretty much all the same? What are these Cebora machines I’m seeing or better sticking the route I’m heading as I have seen some shop display machines from tec arc Im seconding wether to make the plunger or holding it with my £450 budget for good second to hopefully pop up

20. MK1 RS Bruce New Member

Only you can make that choice, but with a new or shop soiled machine you will get some sort of warranty which might be worth more to you for peace of mind than the additional cost to go new over SH. Ultimately the machines you are looking at generally get very positive reviews.

Mikaebc likes this.
Advertisements