Sealing bike petrol tanks

1. Chillitt Member

First off, no laughing, I'm doing my best...
    I am slowly working my way round this tank, and if I ever get all the big holes closed up it's going to need sealing. POR15 used to be The Thing, but now that seems to cover a multitude of sins.. All the rust has gone, its been sat in Vit C for a while, so I just need a sealer, whats the best thing? (Apart from getting another tank..)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Chillitt likes this.
  3. Tom O Member

Chillitt likes this.
  4. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Make sure whatever you use is ethanol proof. I used sealer on the tank of the triumph that wasn't and it broke up in shards blocking the carb continually.

dobbslc, brightspark and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Tom O Member

6. Chillitt Member

I had a horrendous time with ethanol delamination on another bike last year, still got a twitch under one eye from it.. Also got a recent Triumph here with a blistered plastic tank. I'm not a fan..

ronan likes this.
  7. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Cut all the rot out and put plates in, far easier as your not chasing rot and should be a lot quicker

DAPPH, brightspark and ronan like this.
  8. Chillitt Member

Where there is a group of rust holes, I am doing that, Isolated holes are being chased around. Its getting a thorough going at with a die grinder to get back to full thickness too. Fun and games, but it is going much faster than I thought it would.

9. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Ethanol is horrible muck, it absorbs water and causes rot. It also reacts to everything it touches, petrol hose and floats etc.

10. Chillitt Member

Yep. Also takes ages to work out why all that stuff is happening if you haven't seen it before.

ronan likes this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Far easier just to give the underside of the deck a blast with the hose once you've finished cutting....:scared:

Just part of the routine on the golf club mowers when I was doing that.

12. Chillitt Member

Yes, that would have saved me a lot of work... :whistle:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I can't remember reading that on the tin. I do remember it saying "throw away what's left over". I didn't pay for the can,
    but even so I wasn't throwing it away. About a year after I used it I had a tank to seal, so I used it to seal another tank and still had some left.
    I used the last of it to paint the engine in my landrover, waste not and all that.

I have used Petseal, Kreem, POR15 and one that the local bike shop sold that just said it contained vinylester resin.
    I have seen failures with all of them. Seems like preperation is the key[yup]. You want a dry and rust free tank and seal it on a warm dry day.
    I have known people use all of the sealers successfully.
    I have seen more failures with Kreem than anything and won't use it again.
    We sealed alot of custom tanks as they are bare steel and bare steel tanks rust. same goes
    for repaired tanks they rust.

I have some Tapox sealer which I will try next.

14. Melvyn Best Member

Cut out the rust, weld in new steel then perhaps seal with body solder which can be filed to shape then painted . Fuel proof as well

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I read somewhere to store any POR15 with the tin upside down, that way the skin is at the bottom when you go to reuse the stuff. Never heard any warnings about the stuff 'exploding' :vsad:

Works on gloss paints too I've found. :thumbup:

The_Yellow_Ardvark likes this.
  16. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Also once you've welded it up, using an airline set around 10psi pressurise the tank and use soapy water to look for pinholes in the weld

Advertisements