Sea Fishing...

1. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I would like to give sea fishing a go when I'm off travelling, Does anyone have any great experience?

I don't have any kit atm, But would like to get some basic stuff to get me started

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

Boat or beach/rock?

If off the shore I just use a half decent spinning rod and reel. Rod needs to able to cast a reasonable weight
    Off a boat I use the same spinning rod for Mackerel, fishing for anything bigger I use a boat rod and a multiplier reel

slim_boy_fat and Rannsachair like this.
  3. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Coastal fishing

What's a reasonable weight in your eyes? As I'm seeing 6oz as a suggestion

I'm a complete novice, So more advice the better in my eyes!

Parm likes this.
  4. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I’ll check my rod tomorrow and let you know

Ashley Burton likes this.
  5. hotponyshoes Member

The amount of weight you need depends on how much current (tide) there is and how thick the line you are using is so it can be anything from 2-10oz+.

If you are fishing from the beach then try practicing the casting in an empty field first as you wont be very popular if you are snapping the line on the beach and chucking 8oz leads through the air at people!

6. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

I use a 5 or 6 oz weight for beach casting with 15/20 lb line, though mainly go out in the boat with shorter boat rods.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

steve t, duncans, 8ob and 6 others like this.
  7. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Used to do a lot, we had a boat too. Mates all spent thousands on the fanciest rod and reel combos, never caught anymore fish than me with the same rod and reel I’ve had since I was 8. My multiplier reel for boat fishing is a 1960s penn, works beautifully. I would look at getting a half decent telescopic beach caster , unless you have sufficient room to cart 2 6ft sections around all the time. Remember, no fish looks at a word and thinks “by god, that’s a fancy reel, I want a closer look” so don’t get caught up in buying the best of everything

steve t, monky harris, DAPPH and 2 others like this.
  8. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@Tinbasherdan carrying a 2 piece rod is no problem. Just don't have any experience with choice of rods either :laughing:

If starting out what setup would you recommend?

People also talk about braided line instead of Nylon

I'm all ears guys

9. magnet

magnet Member

N E UK
    Remember for a 6oz weight you will need a 60lb shock leader don't attach a 6oz lead straight to say a 15 or 20 lb mainline and then go casting for the horizon it'll end in tears. The shock leader is just that, at the point of making the cast the shock leader must make at least 2 full turns round the spool of the reel to take the shock of the accelerating weight preventing it from breaking the main line.
    As others have said you dont need to spend big to go beach fishing after all the fish dont know what you've got. A 12foot rod a fixed spool reel line shock leader a few rigs its not hard to make your own a rest and a few ragworms. Round here because most of the beaches are sandy all i use for a rest is a bit of pipe the butt of the rod will fit in with a spike welded on. May be get a tip light for night fishing and thats it.
    One last thing bear safety in mind get a tide table . At night to start with fish the ebbing tide, always watch for the sea cutting you off. Tell someone where you are going and keep your mobile phone in a zip lock bag on you. Hope that helps a bit

ukracer and Ashley Burton like this.
  10. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    I belong to Worldseafishing.com , have for 15 yrs.. there's a lot of help from all over the UK available for beginners , boat, beach or bench sea fishing .

Never fish alone and until you get a fair bit of experience don't take learners out with you as your fishing/ safety buddy no matter how good pals you are .

11. docwelder

docwelder New Member

i live very close to primo fishing grounds but due to sea sickness i mainly surfcast off the beach or jetty. early am. i use a penn spinfisher or antique mitchell spinning reel and a 12' fiberglass 2 pc pole that belonged to my late father. monofiliment line 25 pound test. imvho anyone can catch fish using bait so i go with a lure like a krockadile spoon or a surface swimming plug. my prime target are striped bass and bluefish. when the bluefish are running they will bite at anything- your old socks even. they put up a great fight and are very strong with small pointy teeth. the only drawback; imo they taste bad. very oily. striped bass are very good eating and also fun to catch for the same reasons as blues. sharpen your hooks guys because fishing season is almost here.

12. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

disposable weights...pahhhh....being mean and not very good got sick of buying lead weights.......
    just use old spark plugs now !!!!!!!! use two if u need more........
    hahaha.........

13. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

My spinning rod is rated for 2 to 4 oz. If I'm using mackerel traces I only put the lightest weight on. The lures I use are 2.5/ 3 oz.

14. magnet

magnet Member

N E UK
    I drill the top of suitable pebbles and epoxy a wire loop in for weights......Works a treat :thumbup:

15. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

When I fished a lot I cast my own weights. Probably still got a bucket full of them somewhere

16. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

I had a leader snap on me whilst fishing down at Clevedon in the early days.
    Watching an 8 oz lead flying towards my mate who was further down the beach to my left, was like slow motion. Missed him by about a foot. I actually shouted but he never heard me. From that point , I always walked down to make sure I was in front of anyone around before casting, then walking back up the beach after wards.

Migmac and Ashley Burton like this.
  17. hotponyshoes Member

Last time I went beach fishing was the end of last year. A mate of mine talked me into it as there was a rumour that some big cod had showed up.
    It was a school night, freezing and pretty windy and we got there about 10pm.
    I was amazed at how busy it was, a good couple of miles of beach and not more than 2-3meters between each lot fishing. Carpark was overflowing!

He seemed to think that's pretty normal for the prime spots/times.
    I mostly only do boat, dont catch much but it's a pretty enjoyable day out

18. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

I prefer the boat fishing nowadays. A very good chance to see other interesting wildlife too. We were out in a rib, 5m. Not a huge boat. A large fish decided we were interesting so it approached us, disappeared, appeared behind us then to the side of us. This went on for a while. I don’t mind admitting I was slightly nervous, felt like the hunter being hunted. I’ve been told it was a basking shark and harmless. It was twice the size of the boat

19. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Some enormous basking sharks about, big docile beasts, eerie to see swimming past thoigh

Migmac likes this.
  20. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

I have had similar in the Sound of Jura with a pod of Minke Whales amazing to have such massive creatures popping up around the boat, in my case a 6.1 metre Redbay Rib that I often wish I had not parted with. Another time I had a dozen dolphins around me some leaping out the water doing amazing jumps, wish I had photo's of them.
    [​IMG]

Parm, Arc Tourist, steve t and 2 others like this.
Advertisements