Rusty Nissan all ideas welcome!

1. Warren 2 Member

England
    Just got myself a 4.2d Nissan Patrol which needs some welding, was going to buy 2 new wings but Nissan wanted £500 + vat :o Cant find any aftermarket ones so i guess i will have to repair the old ones. Im really after some advice and ideas. Im not a professional welder by any means but i have some basic tools. I have done a bit of research and my plan is to cut away the rest of the rust on the arches back to sound metal and then use a strecher-shrinker to form the curve for the replacement piece and weld this in place using my new Portamig when it arrives :D the sills i was planning to make up using a box pan type folder and then weld in place. Ideally i would like to do most of the welding on a bench with my tig as this is how i have been learning to weld but obviously the sills will have to be done in place so i guess i will have to learn to mig a bit better! I have access to pretty much any tool thinkable as the guy who has been teaching me to weld said i can use his workshop on Saturdays but i don't want to pester him to help me with the actual work unless necessary. Does my plan sound feasable or is there an easier/more sensible way? Cheers

• IMG_0237.jpg
    • IMG_0238.jpg
    • IMG_0236.jpg
  2. Long and slow beat with a panel beating hammer. If need be make it in sections weld the section together to form the shape. Then very large tub of body filler to fine tune the shape. :o

3. the wheelarch should be as easy as there looks to be a good 2 inches of a flat flare before it meets the bodywork proper

4. Warren 2 Member

England
    Tried most places on the net for the pannels but been told "dont av em for that model" i figur it would be a good learning experience to try and repair the ones already on there anyway. Im hoping to learn a bit as i go as i have not done much mig welding before and it is nice to see something you have fixed. I gotta cut about another inch out of the arch to get back to sound metal so that should leave an inch before it flares.

5. rusty69bus

rusty69bus moving to the goldcoast

modify some land rover plastic arch extensions

6. Warren 2 Member

England
    Or roll the arches and put some big muds on :cool:

Advertisements