Running 240v transformer welder from a site portable 110v transformer

1. Jon Moore New Member

Hi, just wondering if this is possible. Only reason i'm asking is my old transformer welder goes down to 80amp and i would like to practice some scratch start dc tig. All ready rectified it for DC but need to lower the amperage. Would running it off a 110/120v yellow portable transformer do the job?
    Regards

2. Turbo Member

Considering how cheap DC inverter sets have become & wouldn't be messing around modifying a transformer set for tig welding. It's not just about rectifying the ac to dc, there's also a lot of electronics to smooth out the current & give a stable arc!

3. Jon Moore New Member

Hi turbo, yes all ready have smoothed out the DC side of things. The problem with the cheap eBay inverters is the duty cycle isn't great. Not that I'm going to be welding for hours on end. I all ready have a MIG and a rubbish gasless, I can't convince the misses I need another. So making do with what I can get hold off, she doesn't know the difference between co2 mix and other gases

4. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

First, you would have a much lower OCV so striking will be harder. Second what size is the welder do you have a big enough 110v transformer.

5. Jon Moore New Member

60 to 140 amp is the current welder minus a few loses in the diodes and the inductor. Which should get me in the ball park, https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tig-calculator.htm.
    I've seen a few 110v/240v tigs online and a few high frequency start diagrams online, push comes to shove a diode with a high voltage generator should get it going. The 110v site transformer i've been offered for £30 is a 3kva but i cant tell you for sure. Regards

Advertisements