Round bar as wheel arch trim

1. Ropeman

Ropeman Member

Aberdeen
    Hi guys, first post here and I'm unsure whether this is the right forum for this question.

I've a 1988 Landcruiser and, like all of it's species, the wheel arches have rusted. The previous owner has used a liberal amount of filler and glass to rebuild them.

I'm planning, at some stage, to repair the bodywork and, as you will imagine, there is a real shortage of pattern body panels available.

I was planning to get hold of some flat sheet of a compatible thickness and weld in where needed but that doesn't leave a finished edge and the MoT are unlikely to be keen so an idea I saw on a US forum seemed a good plan but is it a) feasible and b) something that will pass an MoT?

The idea was to weld on an edge of 6mm round bar to act as a safety lip. Obviously, the welding will be a bit trick and I suppose that it would be best done by using the 'Thick to Thin' technique in the tutorials.

I'm an absolute beginner as a welder, by the way so please go easy on my stupidity :D

2. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Hi Ropeman
    I have done this type of edging a lot on sculptures, it gives a very strong edge and can look nice. I have used 6mm and 3mm bar to edge 1.2mm sheet. the hardest thing is getting the bar bent to match the edge, but this is worth taking time over. Here is a picture of the jaw on an angler fish I made. This example is 3mm gas welding rod brazed but I have done them with Mig weld on larger fish.
    melanocetusjohnsonijaws.jpg

if you put the bar on the outside you get a large raised bead or you can out it on the inside and get a more discrete effect. If you mig weld it there is a fair bit of grinding but you could get a lovely filler free finish Just found an image of one done in mild steel with the Mig welder.
    searobintail.jpg

This would grind out a treat. Good luck, but I would reccomend a few practice attempts first, a good way of getting a fit in between the parts is to bend the rod to a slightly tighter curve than the arch, and work your way round spot welding it ever few inches, then bending it out to meet the arch, also cut the rod over length as I guarrantee it will be to short when you get to te end.. A fiddle but it works.

Chunko'.

Chunko'.

3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

That should be fine, just make sure there are no sharp edges to catch people. Fill imperfections with lead or filler.

I've seen it done on scooters.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

4. Ropeman

Ropeman Member

Aberdeen
    Thanks for the advice chaps. I was going to use some old door trim but the bar seems a neater and better engineered solution. It's not an immediate problem but in the planning now.

Wonder what the MoT tester would make of those teeth Chunko :clapping:

5. JimM

JimM Member

Hi Chunko

are you the artinsteel man ??

Love the stuff on your site

Cheers

Jim

Just seen the triffid on your site so guess you are

6. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Hi Jim