Rollering two pack

1. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

As above.
    II have a camper van I want to repaint,its i been rollered once with military paint but it's looking tired now..
    I fancy two pack,Inam aware of the dangers of spraying it without airflow masks ect but am not up on the rollering side.
    Also I may use upol, which can be tinted with two pack,if I rollered this would I get the same texture as spraying? I am not after a high end finish it's more of a ratlook van.
    Cheers.

2. Kent

Kent Member

It's still dangerous due to the fumes and possible skin contact.

Parm likes this.
  3. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Thought if I did it outside, best 3m mask,gloves, overalls.. might be ok? Won't be sanding it.

4. gaz_moose Member

just use Montana graffiti spray cans like most the other rat look guys do.

ive rollered 2k primer before as a time saving exercise and it went on terrible and took loads of effort to sand flat.

Bryan Williams likes this.
  5. carbon

carbon Member

Parm likes this.
  6. Rolling 2K is perfectly safe. The danger is from airborne mist, which you won't have. Tiny dermatological risk, but no more than any other chemicals really. Just be sensible and you will be fine.

7. Parm

Parm I only give advice if I know

Isocyanate paints are my pet subject of hate

I must resist to get involved here, I must resist, I must resist

WorkshopChris likes this.
  8. postie jon Member

think you may find that the 2k might react with the military paint , think its manily synthetic, cant tottally remember if you can apply 2k over the top without first applying a barriercoat or barcoat, would definately enquire more before purchasing 3 or so litres of 2k to find its non compatable, sorry, :dontknow:

9. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

It's fine to roller, the dangers are in the mist from the spray gun ie the particles of paint you will breath in, there are no particles when rollered as for fumes it's the same as any solvent based paint, avoid the fumes, there will be no isocyanate in the fumes. Nor can it be absorbed through skin contact although avoid it if you can

Bryan Williams and brightspark like this.
  10. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Screenshot_20180313-223238~2.png Screenshot_20180313-223338~2.png Screenshot_20180313-225707~2.png
    Yep I've read a bit on Montana ,seems good stuff.
    Swinging a couple of ways on what to do with the bus.
    One option was a flat one colour coat , I was thinking two pack is the toughest that's why I was asking about safety here, I've asked on lesser informed groups and been told allsorts, it's too dangerous,it it's impossible too roller ect .
    Another look I fancy is the rust/patina look as seen on the old pickups and rods , the best colour scheme to show that look seems to be a duck egg blue or a verdigris green ,flatted , undercoat showing through and rusty.
    But I don't know if that two tone colour scheme and fake patina would suit a nineties bus.
    Kind of like this

11. Turbo Forum Supporter

If you're not after a showroom finish why not use a good synthetic enamel single pack paint? It will be slower to dry but a lot easier to apply by brush roller or spray and no serious health risks, just use a decent mask if spraying. Cars were painted for years with single pack & it did the job - most agricultural machinery is still sprayed with it & look at the abuse they get!

If you haven't used 2 pack before you are in for a steep learning curve. If you don't get the mix correct it will set too quick or too slowly, if you get held up when applying it you might have to dump your mixture & the roller as it will have started to set, making it difficult to apply.

12. the snooper

Synthetic is a one shot paint, you can't polish out any marks, if you get any runs you'll have to wait a good while to flat it off and do the whole panel again, I've used it but well over 20 years ago I've used 2k ever since, there is no comparison :D

13. Kent

Kent Member

No you must get involved at least you know the subject matter..

14. Depends on point of reference. Last time I looked, H&S were claiming that water based paint contains isocyanates.

the snooper likes this.
  15. Gwil Member

You can roller it- then follow immediately with a very good quality brush. Ideally you need two people. I've done it with boats and the finish is pretty good.

KemppiFrog likes this.
  16. postie jon Member

silly thing is cars are painted in waterbase basecoat then top coated with clear 2k containing isocynates so whats the benefit.

ajlelectronics and Parm like this.
  17. Parm

That’s actually a fact.

The paint system is 2k and contains isocyanates but the solvent carrier is largely replaced by water.

Assuming water based paints to be safe is one of the biggest issues I come across. On a regular basis

18. Parm

The benefit is that 2K is very durable and provides a resilient finish, it’s excellent at doing what it does. But it must be handled with high levels of precaution

It can be used safely and without harm to people, I’ve seen this happen many times in some interesting places

19. Parm

I do know the subject very well, but I’m not here to have a debate about it.

Happy to answer and give advice by PM

Kent likes this.
  20. the snooper

It's supposed to help the environment :D

ajlelectronics likes this.
Advertisements